Re: [PBML] Databases - Flat File vs Relational

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2008

      Andy> First I want to say that I am pretty new to Perl and do not know much
      Andy> at all about relational databases. However, I am the kind of person
      Andy> who likes to go in depth with whatever I am working on. I also know
      Andy> that this debate has been covered a lot here and elsewhere and I have
      Andy> read through a lot of posts on the subject. However, I still have some
      Andy> questions.

      Consider DBM::Deep which will effectively put a hash or more complex structure
      out on disk for you. Then you can use normal hash access to get what you
      want.

    • jendaperl
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 3:10 AM
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Schafer"
        <lostgameparts@...> wrote:
        > OK, I have a retail website that I have been running for a while. I
        > have roughly 1000 different part numbers and more to come. I built a
        > simple flat file database to keep track of everything and wrote a
        > script that will keep quantities updated, give me editing
        > capabilities, and also generate all of the html display pages for
        each
        > category with one click of a button. All of this is pretty crudely
        > written but it works well and I have been very happy with it.
        >
        > I am always thinking of new features and such and have decided to
        > redesign my database to include these new ideas and more. I also
        have
        > learned a lot more Perl since I wrote the original scripts so it
        will
        > be a lot more efficient and organized.
        >
        > My plan is this: each file in my database will hold 1000 parts. Each
        > page or group of pages will be designated for a certain category of
        > parts. Finding the proper page in the database will simply involve
        > taking the part# and removing the last 3 digits. This gives the
        page.
        > I then will load the page into a hash ...
        >
        > So, my questions are:
        > 1 Is there a significant increase in speed if I do this kind of
        thing
        > in a relational database?

        I would expect to get one, yes.

        The easiest to install and powerfull enough for this is in my opinion
        SQLite. Or rather DBD::SQLite ... the database engine is included in
        the module. I do think this will not only be quicker and scale
        better, but also simplify your code.

        Jenda