retrieving and dispaying database

  • Nathan
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2008
      Hi All

      I am quite new to perl. I am trying write a perl script to

      1. retrieve records from an MS sql 2000 database.

      2. display it in perl Gui(i have got a book on perl/tk, but did not
      seem to help much).

      2. click on a button on the GUI to save the recordset as an MS excel
      document.

      3. I also want to be able to upload the recordset onto a sybase
      server. I am able to write the perl codes to retrieve records from MS
      sql server. not sure how to proceed with the following

      1. display the record on a GUI
      2. create a button on the GUI that on clicking will save the record as
      an excel doc.
      3. create a button that ''on clicking'' will save the record to a
      sybase database

      Your help will be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks

      Nathan Eluma
    • kenshail2003
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2008
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Nathan" <n.eluma@...> wrote:

        > Hi All
        >
        > I am quite new to perl. I am trying write a perl script to
        >
        > 1. retrieve records from an MS sql 2000 database.
        >
        > 2. display it in perl Gui(i have got a book on perl/tk, but did not
        > seem to help much).
        >
        > 2. click on a button on the GUI to save the recordset as an MS excel
        > document.
        >
        > 3. I also want to be able to upload the recordset onto a sybase
        > server. I am able to write the perl codes to retrieve records from MS
        > sql server. not sure how to proceed with the following
        >
        > 1. display the record on a GUI
        > 2. create a button on the GUI that on clicking will save the record as
        > an excel doc.
        > 3. create a button that ''on clicking'' will save the record to a
        > sybase database
        >
        > Your help will be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Nathan Eluma

        You really need to spend some time with Perl Tk.
        It will do what you want with ease. If your Tk book is "Mastering Perl
        Tk" from Oreilly then everything you need is in it.
        http://search.cpan.org/dist/Spreadsheet-WriteExcel/lib/Spreadsheet/WriteExcel.pm
        There is also a DBD-Sybase module on CPAN
        You just have to join the individual parts up.
      • Nathan
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 13, 2008
          Thank you very much for your quick reply, yes the book i have is
          Mastering Perl/Tk, I need some form of guide and heads-on, I am not
          sure how to put the codes together to give me what I need, for
          instance, I am not sure how to get the database to display in the form
          of rows and column in a widget as it is not discussed in the book.
          Please can you help in this regard.

          Thanks