Re: [PBML] Limitation of Array

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2008

      Vijaya> How many elements can be stored in an array? I mean, is there any
      Vijaya> maximum limit for an array? If anybody knows, please answer.

      Perl imposes no limits, but it's certainly limited to whatever fits into the
      addressing space of a process on your system, because data is all
      memory-resident.

    • Jenda Krynicky
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2008
        From: merlyn@...

        > Vijaya> How many elements can be stored in an array? I mean, is there any
        > Vijaya> maximum limit for an array? If anybody knows, please answer.
        >
        > Perl imposes no limits, but it's certainly limited to whatever fits into the
        > addressing space of a process on your system, because data is all
        > memory-resident.

        I kinda doubt it. The index of an array is an integer so I'd expect
        the maximum limit to be your size of integers.

        Which means
        use Config;
        $maxint = 2 ** ($Config{intsize}*8 - 1);

        The limit looks way big enough so I doubt Perl bothers to check
        whether it needs to promote to something bigger as the array grows.

        Jenda
        -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2008

          Jenda> From: merlyn@...
          >>
          Vijaya> How many elements can be stored in an array? I mean, is there any
          Vijaya> maximum limit for an array? If anybody knows, please answer.
          >>
          >> Perl imposes no limits, but it's certainly limited to whatever fits into the
          >> addressing space of a process on your system, because data is all
          >> memory-resident.

          Jenda> I kinda doubt it. The index of an array is an integer so I'd expect
          Jenda> the maximum limit to be your size of integers.

          Jenda> Which means
          Jenda> use Config;
          Jenda> $maxint = 2 ** ($Config{intsize}*8 - 1);

          Jenda> The limit looks way big enough so I doubt Perl bothers to check
          Jenda> whether it needs to promote to something bigger as the array grows.

          But I believe the standard "integer" size is always supposed to exceed the
          number of addressable bytes for a given architecture. Given that each Perl
          Scalar is some number (16?) bytes at a minimum, you already lose a few bits
          worth of the number of possible scalars, so I think you're in the clear.