Limitation of Array

  • Vijaya Kumar
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5 11:01 PM
      How many elements can be stored in an array? I mean, is there any
      maximum limit for an array? If anybody knows, please answer.

      Thanks in advance
      Vijay
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6 12:00 AM

        Vijaya> How many elements can be stored in an array? I mean, is there any
        Vijaya> maximum limit for an array? If anybody knows, please answer.

        Perl imposes no limits, but it's certainly limited to whatever fits into the
        addressing space of a process on your system, because data is all
        memory-resident.

      • Jenda Krynicky
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6 1:41 AM
          From: merlyn@...

          > Vijaya> How many elements can be stored in an array? I mean, is there any
          > Vijaya> maximum limit for an array? If anybody knows, please answer.
          >
          > Perl imposes no limits, but it's certainly limited to whatever fits into the
          > addressing space of a process on your system, because data is all
          > memory-resident.

          I kinda doubt it. The index of an array is an integer so I'd expect
          the maximum limit to be your size of integers.

          Which means
          use Config;
          $maxint = 2 ** ($Config{intsize}*8 - 1);

          The limit looks way big enough so I doubt Perl bothers to check
          whether it needs to promote to something bigger as the array grows.

          Jenda
          -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6 7:13 AM

            Jenda> From: merlyn@...
            >>
            Vijaya> How many elements can be stored in an array? I mean, is there any
            Vijaya> maximum limit for an array? If anybody knows, please answer.
            >>
            >> Perl imposes no limits, but it's certainly limited to whatever fits into the
            >> addressing space of a process on your system, because data is all
            >> memory-resident.

            Jenda> I kinda doubt it. The index of an array is an integer so I'd expect
            Jenda> the maximum limit to be your size of integers.

            Jenda> Which means
            Jenda> use Config;
            Jenda> $maxint = 2 ** ($Config{intsize}*8 - 1);

            Jenda> The limit looks way big enough so I doubt Perl bothers to check
            Jenda> whether it needs to promote to something bigger as the array grows.

            But I believe the standard "integer" size is always supposed to exceed the
            number of addressable bytes for a given architecture. Given that each Perl
            Scalar is some number (16?) bytes at a minimum, you already lose a few bits
            worth of the number of possible scalars, so I think you're in the clear.