Re: [PBML] Starting Out

  • viktor.shaw
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2008
      I can assure you its not homework, I haven't been anywhere near a
      school in many years. I am however interested in learning perl. I
      just came up with the idea because it seemed like something simple
      enough yet would also use different types of statements and
      commands. Is this the type of reaction I can expect from any
      question I ask on this group?

      Viktor Shaw
      NSA-CSS

      > viktor> The program I want to start out with should be easy enough
      and should
      > viktor> show me a lot of the basics of writing future programs.
      What I want

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24, 2008

        viktor> I can assure you its not homework, I haven't been anywhere near a
        viktor> school in many years. I am however interested in learning perl. I
        viktor> just came up with the idea because it seemed like something simple
        viktor> enough yet would also use different types of statements and
        viktor> commands. Is this the type of reaction I can expect from any
        viktor> question I ask on this group?

        Only when it smells like homework.

        If you want a series of much more attainable programs, I'd suggest
        using one of the tutorial books. Beginning Perl is free, and on the
        net. My own Learning Perl has recieved rave remarks over the years.

        In my professional opinion as a Perl trainer for over a decade, the program
        you proposed will *not* be a good starting point to learn the beginnings of
        Perl. You will very likely need to use advanced constructs such as array and
        hash references, and that's really not a good thing for a first program.

        Heck, it'd take *me* over an hour to code that, and get it all correct.
        And I code pretty fast. :)

        Looks like about 500 lines of code, or possibly 100 lines if I can use the
        Games::Cards module from the CPAN. Definitely *not* a beginner program.
        You'd be lucky to learn all the pieces of how to make it work in under 40
        hours, and even then, it'd be frustrating every step of the way.

        That's why it smelled like homework. It's a great final exam question for a
        40-hour class. But not for a beginner.

      • Rob Richardson
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2008
          Viktor,

          In just about any programming discussion group I've seen, specific questions
          are much more likely to get answers than general ones. If you try to write
          your card arithmetic program and come to some point where Perl says your
          code has a syntax error but it looks just fine to you, or it looks as though
          your program should be giving an answer of 13 and it's giving an answer of
          42, we can probably help. That's especially true if you can show us the
          code you have written. But there's really nothing to grab hold of in your
          question. You haven't gotten to Perl yet; you haven't even designed the
          program.

          And yes, you'd get a response of "That sounds like homework" to this
          question from just about any programming discussion group I've seen.

          RobR

        • Bob Kardell
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 28, 2008
            There is a Games::Cards module? Heck, all this time I have been using Perl for work!

            Bob

[...]

            <merlyn@stonehenge. com> <URL:http://www.stonehen ge.com/merlyn/>
            See PerlTraining. Stonehenge. com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!