Re: [PBML] Starting Out

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2008
      >>>>> "viktor" == viktor shaw <viktor.shaw@...> writes:

      viktor> The program I want to start out with should be easy enough and should
      viktor> show me a lot of the basics of writing future programs. What I want
      viktor> to do is as follows:

      This sounds *very* much like homework. If it is, helping you would
      be cheating. Please don't ask us to help you cheat.

    • viktor.shaw
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24, 2008
        I can assure you its not homework, I haven't been anywhere near a
        school in many years. I am however interested in learning perl. I
        just came up with the idea because it seemed like something simple
        enough yet would also use different types of statements and
        commands. Is this the type of reaction I can expect from any
        question I ask on this group?

        Viktor Shaw
        NSA-CSS

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2008

          viktor> I can assure you its not homework, I haven't been anywhere near a
          viktor> school in many years. I am however interested in learning perl. I
          viktor> just came up with the idea because it seemed like something simple
          viktor> enough yet would also use different types of statements and
          viktor> commands. Is this the type of reaction I can expect from any
          viktor> question I ask on this group?

          Only when it smells like homework.

          If you want a series of much more attainable programs, I'd suggest
          using one of the tutorial books. Beginning Perl is free, and on the
          net. My own Learning Perl has recieved rave remarks over the years.

          In my professional opinion as a Perl trainer for over a decade, the program
          you proposed will *not* be a good starting point to learn the beginnings of
          Perl. You will very likely need to use advanced constructs such as array and
          hash references, and that's really not a good thing for a first program.

          Heck, it'd take *me* over an hour to code that, and get it all correct.
          And I code pretty fast. :)

          Looks like about 500 lines of code, or possibly 100 lines if I can use the
          Games::Cards module from the CPAN. Definitely *not* a beginner program.
          You'd be lucky to learn all the pieces of how to make it work in under 40
          hours, and even then, it'd be frustrating every step of the way.

          That's why it smelled like homework. It's a great final exam question for a
          40-hour class. But not for a beginner.

        • Rob Richardson
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 24, 2008
            Viktor,

            In just about any programming discussion group I've seen, specific questions
            are much more likely to get answers than general ones. If you try to write
            your card arithmetic program and come to some point where Perl says your
            code has a syntax error but it looks just fine to you, or it looks as though
            your program should be giving an answer of 13 and it's giving an answer of
            42, we can probably help. That's especially true if you can show us the
            code you have written. But there's really nothing to grab hold of in your
            question. You haven't gotten to Perl yet; you haven't even designed the
            program.

            And yes, you'd get a response of "That sounds like homework" to this
            question from just about any programming discussion group I've seen.

            RobR

          • Bob Kardell
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 28, 2008
              There is a Games::Cards module? Heck, all this time I have been using Perl for work!

              Bob

[...]

              <merlyn@stonehenge. com> <URL:http://www.stonehen ge.com/merlyn/>
              See PerlTraining. Stonehenge. com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!