Re: [PBML] [Commercial] Training on Perl Automation by Industry Professionals

  • Andy Dixon
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 12, 2008
      On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 18:04, merlyn@... wrote:
      > writes:
      >
      > Andy> On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 10:14, merlyn@... wrote:
      > Andy> <SNIP>
      > >>
      > >> What is "PERL"? Surely not the programming language, which is
      > spelled
      > >> "Perl".
      >
      > Andy> Surely this is still a valid way of displaying it.
      >
      > You say "still" implying "at one time, it was valid".
      > It was *never* valid. I started using Perl version 1. It was *never*
      > spelled all caps.
      >
      > In fact, spelling Perl with all caps is a good "shibboleth": an
      > indication
      > that the person using the name is *not* clued in to the existing
      > literature,
      > or even familiar with the Perl FAQ, which on this subject is very
      > clear:

      <SNIP>
      'Still' does not necessarily mean that it was in the past. I am a
      relative new-comer to perl compared to you, and as a consequence dont
      know as much as you, so thanks to Jenda, I now know a bit more about
      Perl, and in the future will be able to retort more accurately.

      > Now, if you're selling *Perl training*, and you haven't even read the
      > rediculously easy-to-find Perl FAQ, how can you be trusted to get
      > ANYTHING
      > ELSE RIGHT?

      Exactly. I see your point. Its like buying a car from a dealer who
      distinguishes different types of car by their colour. The 'sporty' car
      is a 'red car' and the economy car is a 'grey car'.
      When I worked for a UK ISP, I had a similar series of calls from
      so-called 'IT Consultants' who charge thousands of pounds for a
      Microsoft Publisher website. Always fun to tear into them on the phone
      when they are on-site.

      Andy