Re: [PBML] [Commercial] Training on Perl Automation by Industry Professionals

  • Jenda Krynicky
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 12, 2008
      To: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
      From: Andy Dixon <andy.dixon@...>
      Date sent: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:48:33 +0000
      Subject: Re: [PBML] [Commercial] Training on Perl Automation
      by Industry
      Professionals
      Send reply to: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com

      > On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 10:14, merlyn@... wrote:
      > <SNIP>
      > >
      > > What is "PERL"? Surely not the programming language, which is spelled
      > > "Perl".
      >
      > Surely this is still a valid way of displaying it. If you are getting
      > picky, they are both spelt the same, just typed differently. Perl/PERL
      > is an acronym for Practical Extraction and Report Language, so either
      > way sould be fine.

      It's a backronym. The "Practical Extraction and Report Language"
      sentence was created later than the language.
      See http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Perl_Programming

      It's Perl (the language) or perl (the interpreter).

      And the fun is that these guys were already told so last time they
      spammed the list.

      Jenda
      -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 12, 2008

        Andy> On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 10:14, merlyn@... wrote:
        Andy> <SNIP>
        >>
        >> What is "PERL"? Surely not the programming language, which is spelled
        >> "Perl".

        Andy> Surely this is still a valid way of displaying it.

        You say "still" implying "at one time, it was valid".

        It was *never* valid. I started using Perl version 1. It was *never*
        spelled all caps.

        In fact, spelling Perl with all caps is a good "shibboleth": an indication
        that the person using the name is *not* clued in to the existing literature,
        or even familiar with the Perl FAQ, which on this subject is very clear:

        What's the difference between "perl" and "Perl"?
        One bit. Oh, you weren't talking ASCII? :-) Larry now uses "Perl" to
        signify the language proper and "perl" the implementation of it, i.e.
        the current interpreter. Hence Tom's quip that "Nothing but perl can
        parse Perl." You may or may not choose to follow this usage. For
        example, parallelism means "awk and perl" and "Python and Perl" look OK,
        while "awk and Perl" and "Python and perl" do not. But never write
        "PERL", because perl is not an acronym, apocryphal folklore and
        post-facto expansions notwithstanding.

        Now, if you're selling *Perl training*, and you haven't even read the
        rediculously easy-to-find Perl FAQ, how can you be trusted to get ANYTHING
        ELSE RIGHT?

      • Andy Dixon
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 12, 2008
          On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 18:04, merlyn@... wrote:
          > writes:
          >
          > Andy> On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 10:14, merlyn@... wrote:
          > Andy> <SNIP>
          > >>
          > >> What is "PERL"? Surely not the programming language, which is
          > spelled
          > >> "Perl".
          >
          > Andy> Surely this is still a valid way of displaying it.
          >
          > You say "still" implying "at one time, it was valid".
          > It was *never* valid. I started using Perl version 1. It was *never*
          > spelled all caps.
          >
          > In fact, spelling Perl with all caps is a good "shibboleth": an
          > indication
          > that the person using the name is *not* clued in to the existing
          > literature,
          > or even familiar with the Perl FAQ, which on this subject is very
          > clear:

          <SNIP>
          'Still' does not necessarily mean that it was in the past. I am a
          relative new-comer to perl compared to you, and as a consequence dont
          know as much as you, so thanks to Jenda, I now know a bit more about
          Perl, and in the future will be able to retort more accurately.

          > Now, if you're selling *Perl training*, and you haven't even read the
          > rediculously easy-to-find Perl FAQ, how can you be trusted to get
          > ANYTHING
          > ELSE RIGHT?

          Exactly. I see your point. Its like buying a car from a dealer who
          distinguishes different types of car by their colour. The 'sporty' car
          is a 'red car' and the economy car is a 'grey car'.
          When I worked for a UK ISP, I had a similar series of calls from
          so-called 'IT Consultants' who charge thousands of pounds for a
          Microsoft Publisher website. Always fun to tear into them on the phone
          when they are on-site.

          Andy