[PBML] Re: Eval and memory problems

  • computerdribble
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
      which FAQ ?

      thanks by the way.

      > computerdribble> how do I macro expand ?
      >
      > Is the answer in the FAQ not clear enough?

      777 0095
      training!

    • Boyle, Christopher
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
        http://faq.perl.org/

        ________________________________

        > computerdribble> how do I macro expand ?
        >
        > Is the answer in the FAQ not clear enough?

        777 0095
        > <merlyn@...> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/
        <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/> >
        training!

        NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: Information included in and/or attached to this electronic mail transmission may be confidential. This electronic mail transmission is intended for the addressee(s) only. Any unauthorized disclosure, reproduction, or distribution of, and/or any unauthorized action taken in reliance on the information in this electronic mail is prohibited. If you believe that you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply transmission, or contact helpdesk@..., and delete the message without copying or disclosing it.

      • computerdribble
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
          Nope , not in there. there is nothing in the FAQ concerning Macro
          expansion.

          Only Macros for Vi (ick)

          Went through that AGAIN and no luck.

          anywhere else?

          I really appreciate the pointers. I guess thats what the
          "perl-beginner" is all about.

          tia!

          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Boyle, Christopher"

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008

            computerdribble> Nope , not in there. there is nothing in the FAQ concerning Macro
            computerdribble> expansion.

            By the way, it's on *YOUR DISK*. No need to go off to the net for the FAQ.
            Type "perldoc perlfaq". And you can search it too, which I will now do for
            you, to show you the FAQ *does* cover what you're looking for.

            I suggest you read the subject lines of "perldoc perlfaq" and "perldoc perl"
            weekly until you can recite them from memory. Perl comes with a HUGE amount
            of info, but it's pointless if you don't know what's there.

            $ perldoc -q expand

            Found in /usr/libdata/perl5/pod/perlfaq4.pod
            How do I expand function calls in a string?
            (contributed by brian d foy)

            This is documented in perlref, and although it's not the easiest thing
            to read, it does work. In each of these examples, we call the function
            inside the braces used to dereference a reference. If we have a more
            than one return value, we can construct and dereference an anonymous
            array. In this case, we call the function in list context.

            print "The time values are @{ [localtime] }.\n";

            If we want to call the function in scalar context, we have to do a bit
            more work. We can really have any code we like inside the braces, so we
            simply have to end with the scalar reference, although how you do that
            is up to you, and you can use code inside the braces.

            print "The time is ${\(scalar localtime)}.\n"

            print "The time is ${ my $x = localtime; \$x }.\n";

            If your function already returns a reference, you don't need to create
            the reference yourself.

            sub timestamp { my $t = localtime; \$t }

            print "The time is ${ timestamp() }.\n";

            The "Interpolation" module can also do a lot of magic for you. You can
            specify a variable name, in this case "E", to set up a tied hash that
            does the interpolation for you. It has several other methods to do this
            as well.

            use Interpolation E => 'eval';
            print "The time values are $E{localtime()}.\n";

            In most cases, it is probably easier to simply use string concatenation,
            which also forces scalar context.

            print "The time is " . localtime . ".\n";

            How do I expand tabs in a string?
            You can do it yourself:

            1 while $string =~ s/\t+/' ' x (length($&) * 8 - length($`) % 8)/e;

            Or you can just use the Text::Tabs module (part of the standard Perl
            distribution).

            use Text::Tabs;
            @expanded_lines = expand(@lines_with_tabs);

            How can I expand variables in text strings?
            Let's assume that you have a string that contains placeholder variables.

            $text = 'this has a $foo in it and a $bar';

            You can use a substitution with a double evaluation. The first /e turns
            $1 into $foo, and the second /e turns $foo into its value. You may want
            to wrap this in an "eval": if you try to get the value of an undeclared
            variable while running under "use strict", you get a fatal error.

            eval { $text =~ s/(\$\w+)/$1/eeg };
            die if $@;

            It's probably better in the general case to treat those variables as
            entries in some special hash. For example:

            %user_defs = (
            foo => 23,
            bar => 19,
            );
            $text =~ s/\$(\w+)/$user_defs{$1}/g;

          • computerdribble
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
              Thank you.

              I went onto the faq.perl.org site and searched through all of that
              and nothing came back.

              This is one of the problems and reasons I have stayed away from perl
              for so long. There's SO much to it and it HAS its OWN quirkiness that
              outpaces other languages.

              but again, thank you!

              Now, one other question....

              this works:
              $text =~ s/(\$\w+)/$1/eeg

              it takes;
              $aa="hello";
              $bb="goodbye";

              and inserts it into;

              $text = "( ( $aa =~ /lo/ ) and ($bb =~ /ye/ ) )";

              perfectly to create:

              ( ( hello =~ /lo/ ) and ( goodbye =~ /ye/ ) )

              notice the problem ? No quotes around the $aa expanded variable. So the
              if ( @{ [ $text ] } )

              always fails.

              I'm NOT a regex person and stumble my way through it so far.. but this
              is beyond me at the moment. (yes more reading is required)

              How do I get the expansion (or can it be done? ) to automatically put
              the quotes around the variables expanded?

              I can add the quotes into the database around the variables, but then
              its a cludge.

              thanks again and thanks in advance...

              joe

> [...]
              > distribution).
              >
              > use Text::Tabs;
              > @expanded_lines = expand(@lines_with_tabs);
              >
              > How can I expand variables in text strings?
              > Let's assume that you have a string that contains placeholder
              variables.

              > $text = 'this has a $foo in it and a $bar';
              >
              > You can use a substitution with a double evaluation. The first
              /e turns
              > $1 into $foo, and the second /e turns $foo into its value. You
              may want
              > to wrap this in an "eval": if you try to get the value of an
              undeclared
              > variable while running under "use strict", you get a fatal error.
              >
              > eval { $text =~ s/(\$\w+)/$1/eeg };
              > die if $@;
              >
              > It's probably better in the general case to treat those variables as
              > entries in some special hash. For example:

            • Boyle, Christopher
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
                perldoc -quote

                ________________________________

> [...]

                > bar => 19,
                > );
                > $text =~ s/\$(\w+)/$user_defs{$1}/g;

                777 0095
                > <merlyn@...> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/
                <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/> >
                training!

                NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: Information included in and/or attached to this electronic mail transmission may be confidential. This electronic mail transmission is intended for the addressee(s) only. Any unauthorized disclosure, reproduction, or distribution of, and/or any unauthorized action taken in reliance on the information in this electronic mail is prohibited. If you believe that you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply transmission, or contact helpdesk@..., and delete the message without copying or disclosing it.

              • Jenda Krynicky
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
                  From: "computerdribble" <computerdribble@...>
                  > The "specific things" are stored in a mysql database as a regex expression
                  > Example:
                  >
                  > ( ( $field =~ /blah/) and ($field =~ /that/) )
                  >
                  > I open the MySql database, no problem, load the contents into arrays,
                  > no problem.
                  >
                  > Open the log file (approx 1.48megs in size) for reading only.
                  >
                  > I have a logic loop
                  >
                  > grab a line from the log file
                  >
                  > run all regex expressions against the log line grabbed. This could be
                  > from 1 to 500 different tests.
                  >

                  > its done in a EVAL statement.
                  >
                  > similar to:
                  >
                  > if ( eval $array[$vartoarraycontents] )

                  Compile each test just once and run it repeatedly.
                  Before opening the log file, but after reading the expressions do
                  something like

                  for my $test (@array) {
                  $test = eval 'sub { ' . $test . '}'
                  or die "Failed to compile '$test' : $@\n";
                  }

                  and then while looping through the logfile use

                  if ($array[$vartoarraycontents]->()) {

                  There is a possible catch though! The variables you plan to make
                  available to the tests must be declared before the tests are compiled
                  by those eval('sub {'...) statements!

                  Jenda
                  -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
                • Computer-Dribble
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 9, 2008
                    Thank you!

                    One problem I ran into was the EVAL was killing 4 gigs
                    of memeory on large log files. At least I traced it
                    back to that.

                    This is why I wanted to avoid EVAL completely and do
                    some macro expansion.

                    thanks again!!

                    Joe.

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • Jenda Krynicky
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 9, 2008
                      - No I don't. And others don't either.
                      - But you do not need to read what I wrote originaly and what you
                      replied last time, you remember it, don't you?
                      - Because it's all backwards.
                      - Why is that?
                      - Because it's hard to read.
                      - Why?
                      - Please do not top-post!

                      Since the proposed change decreases the number of eval""s from
                      (number of tests)*(number of lines in logfile)
                      to just
                      (number of tests)
                      any leaks in eval"" should be irrelevant.

                      Jenda

                      From: Computer-Dribble <computerdribble@...>

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 9, 2008
                        I humbly thank ALL who have read or responded.

                        Can you, with all of the examples to date...
                        do away with the EVAL of the variable that contains the testing
                        information and just do a straight macro expansion ?

                        $this = "that"
                        $that ="this"

                        $test = ' ( ( "that" =~ /at/) and ( "this" =~ /at/ ) ) '

                        something like @{[ $$test ] }

                        I'm sorry to have ruffled so many feathers, but just because one has
                        20 years of experience in a language does not mean they should look
                        down on someone TRYING to learn it. Much less understand it andits
                        quirkiness.

                        Usually, a pre-madonna is a target in the computer field, remember that.

                        I find that perl is never as straight forward as one thinks. It takes
                        a great deal of trial and error to get it to do what you want it to do
                        .. for a beginner, its frustrating. For someone with 30 years
                        experince in other languages, its VERY frustrating. Unless I
                        completely dive into the language full time.. I'll never gain the
                        knowledge you guys have. But I don't need to. This is a 1 time
                        thing. I can go someone else to find the answers BUT... I thought
                        that this was a "perl-beginner" group/forum not a "lets pick on
                        someone trying to learn the language" area.
                        Is this what "knowledge sharing" has degraded to ?

                        Most of the "trial and error" is because of the REGEX. Each language,
                        has its own way of looking at REGEX and Perl is notorious for its own
                        quirks.

                        I bow before greater GODs than I in the Perl field and I humbly do so.
                        If I had my way, I would have written this in another language
                        altogether, but a client wants what a client wants.

                        As for "top loading or top responding" Not my fault, blame Yahoo for
                        doing that way.. hell blame the whole freaking internet for it,
                        because that's just how it is done. Talk to the hand.

                        Joe.
                      • Jenda Krynicky
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 9, 2008
                          From: "computerdribble" <computerdribble@...>
                          > I humbly thank ALL who have read or responded.
                          >
                          > Can you, with all of the examples to date...
                          > do away with the EVAL of the variable that contains the testing
                          > information and just do a straight macro expansion ?
                          >
                          > $this = "that"
                          > $that ="this"
                          >
                          > $test = ' ( ( "that" =~ /at/) and ( "this" =~ /at/ ) ) '
                          >
                          > something like @{[ $$test ] }

                          No. You can't. It's as simple as that.

                          If you did not store the expression like this in the database, but
                          instead stored the name of the variable and the regexp (and nothing
                          else) in separate columns you could do something like

                          if ($data{$varname} =~ /$regexp/) {

                          where the $varname and $regexp comes from the database. Whether that
                          would be enough for you, I don't know.

                          Even in this case though it would be better to preprocess the
                          regexps:

                          foreach my $test (@tests) {
                          # $test = [$varname, $regexp]
                          eval {
                          $test[1] = qr/$test[1]/
                          } or die qq{Invalid regexp /$test[1]/ : $@\n};
                          }

                          This way the regexps are parsed and compiled just once instead of
                          each time they are used.

                          > I'm sorry to have ruffled so many feathers, but just because one has
                          > 20 years of experience in a language does not mean they should look
                          > down on someone TRYING to learn it. Much less understand it andits
                          > quirkiness.

                          I think all this was unnecessary. Noone's picking on you.

                          > As for "top loading or top responding" Not my fault, blame Yahoo for
                          > doing that way.. hell blame the whole freaking internet for it,
                          > because that's just how it is done. Talk to the hand.

                          The fact that Yahoo (by default?) formats replies one way doesn't
                          mean you have to keep it that way. Top-posting is quite OK for
                          personal emails to a single recipient. For mailing lists its ... not
                          working too well. Always try to make it easy to the people you are
                          asking for help, even if it means you spend two more minutes
                          formatting the email.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 9, 2008
                            Thank you for responding.

                            --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Jenda Krynicky" <Jenda@...> wrote:

                            > From: "computerdribble" <computerdribble@...>
                            > > I humbly thank ALL who have read or responded.
                            > >
                            > > Can you, with all of the examples to date...
                            > > do away with the EVAL of the variable that contains the testing
                            > > information and just do a straight macro expansion ?
                            > >
                            > > $this = "that"
                            > > $that ="this"
                            > >
                            > > $test = ' ( ( "that" =~ /at/) and ( "this" =~ /at/ ) ) '
                            > >
                            > > something like @{[ $$test ] }
                            >
                            > No. You can't. It's as simple as that.

                            dang it all!
                            oh well.

                            > If you did not store the expression like this in the database, but
                            > instead stored the name of the variable and the regexp (and nothing
                            > else) in separate columns you could do something like
                            >
                            > if ($data{$varname} =~ /$regexp/) {
                            >
                            > where the $varname and $regexp comes from the database. Whether that
                            > would be enough for you, I don't know.
                            >
                            > Even in this case though it would be better to preprocess the
                            > regexps:
                            >
                            > foreach my $test (@tests) {
                            > # $test = [$varname, $regexp]
                            > eval {
                            > $test[1] = qr/$test[1]/
                            > } or die qq{Invalid regexp /$test[1]/ : $@\n};
                            > }

                            I would love to.. except there are certain instances that what needs
                            to be checked is.. well let me put it this way:

                            (( $field =~ /this/) and ( ($field =~ /that/) or ($field1 =~/a/) or
                            $field2 =~/xx/) or... or.... or.....) )

                            actually some of the rules/checks are quite extensive. I **wish**
                            they were easier.. but they are not and will probably be redefined to
                            something more tighter.. looking for VERY specific things.

                            I appreciate all of the help and guidance.

                            joe