Re: [PBML] Re: Eval and memory problems

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
      >>>>> "computerdribble" == computerdribble <computerdribble@...> writes:

      computerdribble> how do I macro expand ?

      Is the answer in the FAQ not clear enough?

    • computerdribble
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
        which FAQ ?

        thanks by the way.

        > computerdribble> how do I macro expand ?
        >
        > Is the answer in the FAQ not clear enough?

        777 0095
        training!

      • Boyle, Christopher
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
          http://faq.perl.org/

          ________________________________

          > computerdribble> how do I macro expand ?
          >
          > Is the answer in the FAQ not clear enough?

          777 0095
          > <merlyn@...> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/
          <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/> >
          training!

          NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: Information included in and/or attached to this electronic mail transmission may be confidential. This electronic mail transmission is intended for the addressee(s) only. Any unauthorized disclosure, reproduction, or distribution of, and/or any unauthorized action taken in reliance on the information in this electronic mail is prohibited. If you believe that you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply transmission, or contact helpdesk@..., and delete the message without copying or disclosing it.

        • computerdribble
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
            Nope , not in there. there is nothing in the FAQ concerning Macro
            expansion.

            Only Macros for Vi (ick)

            Went through that AGAIN and no luck.

            anywhere else?

            I really appreciate the pointers. I guess thats what the
            "perl-beginner" is all about.

            tia!

            --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Boyle, Christopher"

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008

              computerdribble> Nope , not in there. there is nothing in the FAQ concerning Macro
              computerdribble> expansion.

              By the way, it's on *YOUR DISK*. No need to go off to the net for the FAQ.
              Type "perldoc perlfaq". And you can search it too, which I will now do for
              you, to show you the FAQ *does* cover what you're looking for.

              I suggest you read the subject lines of "perldoc perlfaq" and "perldoc perl"
              weekly until you can recite them from memory. Perl comes with a HUGE amount
              of info, but it's pointless if you don't know what's there.

              $ perldoc -q expand

              Found in /usr/libdata/perl5/pod/perlfaq4.pod
              How do I expand function calls in a string?
              (contributed by brian d foy)

              This is documented in perlref, and although it's not the easiest thing
              to read, it does work. In each of these examples, we call the function
              inside the braces used to dereference a reference. If we have a more
              than one return value, we can construct and dereference an anonymous
              array. In this case, we call the function in list context.

              print "The time values are @{ [localtime] }.\n";

              If we want to call the function in scalar context, we have to do a bit
              more work. We can really have any code we like inside the braces, so we
              simply have to end with the scalar reference, although how you do that
              is up to you, and you can use code inside the braces.

              print "The time is ${\(scalar localtime)}.\n"

              print "The time is ${ my $x = localtime; \$x }.\n";

              If your function already returns a reference, you don't need to create
              the reference yourself.

              sub timestamp { my $t = localtime; \$t }

              print "The time is ${ timestamp() }.\n";

              The "Interpolation" module can also do a lot of magic for you. You can
              specify a variable name, in this case "E", to set up a tied hash that
              does the interpolation for you. It has several other methods to do this
              as well.

              use Interpolation E => 'eval';
              print "The time values are $E{localtime()}.\n";

              In most cases, it is probably easier to simply use string concatenation,
              which also forces scalar context.

              print "The time is " . localtime . ".\n";

              How do I expand tabs in a string?
              You can do it yourself:

              1 while $string =~ s/\t+/' ' x (length($&) * 8 - length($`) % 8)/e;

              Or you can just use the Text::Tabs module (part of the standard Perl
              distribution).

              use Text::Tabs;
              @expanded_lines = expand(@lines_with_tabs);

              How can I expand variables in text strings?
              Let's assume that you have a string that contains placeholder variables.

              $text = 'this has a $foo in it and a $bar';

              You can use a substitution with a double evaluation. The first /e turns
              $1 into $foo, and the second /e turns $foo into its value. You may want
              to wrap this in an "eval": if you try to get the value of an undeclared
              variable while running under "use strict", you get a fatal error.

              eval { $text =~ s/(\$\w+)/$1/eeg };
              die if $@;

              It's probably better in the general case to treat those variables as
              entries in some special hash. For example:

              %user_defs = (
              foo => 23,
              bar => 19,
              );
              $text =~ s/\$(\w+)/$user_defs{$1}/g;

            • computerdribble
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
                Thank you.

                I went onto the faq.perl.org site and searched through all of that
                and nothing came back.

                This is one of the problems and reasons I have stayed away from perl
                for so long. There's SO much to it and it HAS its OWN quirkiness that
                outpaces other languages.

                but again, thank you!

                Now, one other question....

                this works:
                $text =~ s/(\$\w+)/$1/eeg

                it takes;
                $aa="hello";
                $bb="goodbye";

                and inserts it into;

                $text = "( ( $aa =~ /lo/ ) and ($bb =~ /ye/ ) )";

                perfectly to create:

                ( ( hello =~ /lo/ ) and ( goodbye =~ /ye/ ) )

                notice the problem ? No quotes around the $aa expanded variable. So the
                if ( @{ [ $text ] } )

                always fails.

                I'm NOT a regex person and stumble my way through it so far.. but this
                is beyond me at the moment. (yes more reading is required)

                How do I get the expansion (or can it be done? ) to automatically put
                the quotes around the variables expanded?

                I can add the quotes into the database around the variables, but then
                its a cludge.

                thanks again and thanks in advance...

                joe

> [...]
                > distribution).
                >
                > use Text::Tabs;
                > @expanded_lines = expand(@lines_with_tabs);
                >
                > How can I expand variables in text strings?
                > Let's assume that you have a string that contains placeholder
                variables.

                > $text = 'this has a $foo in it and a $bar';
                >
                > You can use a substitution with a double evaluation. The first
                /e turns
                > $1 into $foo, and the second /e turns $foo into its value. You
                may want
                > to wrap this in an "eval": if you try to get the value of an
                undeclared
                > variable while running under "use strict", you get a fatal error.
                >
                > eval { $text =~ s/(\$\w+)/$1/eeg };
                > die if $@;
                >
                > It's probably better in the general case to treat those variables as
                > entries in some special hash. For example:

              • Boyle, Christopher
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
                  perldoc -quote

                  ________________________________

> [...]

                  > bar => 19,
                  > );
                  > $text =~ s/\$(\w+)/$user_defs{$1}/g;

                  777 0095
                  > <merlyn@...> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/
                  <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/> >
                  training!

                  NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: Information included in and/or attached to this electronic mail transmission may be confidential. This electronic mail transmission is intended for the addressee(s) only. Any unauthorized disclosure, reproduction, or distribution of, and/or any unauthorized action taken in reliance on the information in this electronic mail is prohibited. If you believe that you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply transmission, or contact helpdesk@..., and delete the message without copying or disclosing it.

                • Jenda Krynicky
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 8, 2008
                    From: "computerdribble" <computerdribble@...>
                    > The "specific things" are stored in a mysql database as a regex expression
                    > Example:
                    >
                    > ( ( $field =~ /blah/) and ($field =~ /that/) )
                    >
                    > I open the MySql database, no problem, load the contents into arrays,
                    > no problem.
                    >
                    > Open the log file (approx 1.48megs in size) for reading only.
                    >
                    > I have a logic loop
                    >
                    > grab a line from the log file
                    >
                    > run all regex expressions against the log line grabbed. This could be
                    > from 1 to 500 different tests.
                    >

                    > its done in a EVAL statement.
                    >
                    > similar to:
                    >
                    > if ( eval $array[$vartoarraycontents] )

                    Compile each test just once and run it repeatedly.
                    Before opening the log file, but after reading the expressions do
                    something like

                    for my $test (@array) {
                    $test = eval 'sub { ' . $test . '}'
                    or die "Failed to compile '$test' : $@\n";
                    }

                    and then while looping through the logfile use

                    if ($array[$vartoarraycontents]->()) {

                    There is a possible catch though! The variables you plan to make
                    available to the tests must be declared before the tests are compiled
                    by those eval('sub {'...) statements!

                    Jenda
                    -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
                  • Computer-Dribble
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 9, 2008
                      Thank you!

                      One problem I ran into was the EVAL was killing 4 gigs
                      of memeory on large log files. At least I traced it
                      back to that.

                      This is why I wanted to avoid EVAL completely and do
                      some macro expansion.

                      thanks again!!

                      Joe.

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • Jenda Krynicky
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 9, 2008
                        - No I don't. And others don't either.
                        - But you do not need to read what I wrote originaly and what you
                        replied last time, you remember it, don't you?
                        - Because it's all backwards.
                        - Why is that?
                        - Because it's hard to read.
                        - Why?
                        - Please do not top-post!

                        Since the proposed change decreases the number of eval""s from
                        (number of tests)*(number of lines in logfile)
                        to just
                        (number of tests)
                        any leaks in eval"" should be irrelevant.

                        Jenda

                        From: Computer-Dribble <computerdribble@...>

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 9, 2008
                          I humbly thank ALL who have read or responded.

                          Can you, with all of the examples to date...
                          do away with the EVAL of the variable that contains the testing
                          information and just do a straight macro expansion ?

                          $this = "that"
                          $that ="this"

                          $test = ' ( ( "that" =~ /at/) and ( "this" =~ /at/ ) ) '

                          something like @{[ $$test ] }

                          I'm sorry to have ruffled so many feathers, but just because one has
                          20 years of experience in a language does not mean they should look
                          down on someone TRYING to learn it. Much less understand it andits
                          quirkiness.

                          Usually, a pre-madonna is a target in the computer field, remember that.

                          I find that perl is never as straight forward as one thinks. It takes
                          a great deal of trial and error to get it to do what you want it to do
                          .. for a beginner, its frustrating. For someone with 30 years
                          experince in other languages, its VERY frustrating. Unless I
                          completely dive into the language full time.. I'll never gain the
                          knowledge you guys have. But I don't need to. This is a 1 time
                          thing. I can go someone else to find the answers BUT... I thought
                          that this was a "perl-beginner" group/forum not a "lets pick on
                          someone trying to learn the language" area.
                          Is this what "knowledge sharing" has degraded to ?

                          Most of the "trial and error" is because of the REGEX. Each language,
                          has its own way of looking at REGEX and Perl is notorious for its own
                          quirks.

                          I bow before greater GODs than I in the Perl field and I humbly do so.
                          If I had my way, I would have written this in another language
                          altogether, but a client wants what a client wants.

                          As for "top loading or top responding" Not my fault, blame Yahoo for
                          doing that way.. hell blame the whole freaking internet for it,
                          because that's just how it is done. Talk to the hand.

                          Joe.
                        • Jenda Krynicky
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 9, 2008
                            From: "computerdribble" <computerdribble@...>
                            > I humbly thank ALL who have read or responded.
                            >
                            > Can you, with all of the examples to date...
                            > do away with the EVAL of the variable that contains the testing
                            > information and just do a straight macro expansion ?
                            >
                            > $this = "that"
                            > $that ="this"
                            >
                            > $test = ' ( ( "that" =~ /at/) and ( "this" =~ /at/ ) ) '
                            >
                            > something like @{[ $$test ] }

                            No. You can't. It's as simple as that.

                            If you did not store the expression like this in the database, but
                            instead stored the name of the variable and the regexp (and nothing
                            else) in separate columns you could do something like

                            if ($data{$varname} =~ /$regexp/) {

                            where the $varname and $regexp comes from the database. Whether that
                            would be enough for you, I don't know.

                            Even in this case though it would be better to preprocess the
                            regexps:

                            foreach my $test (@tests) {
                            # $test = [$varname, $regexp]
                            eval {
                            $test[1] = qr/$test[1]/
                            } or die qq{Invalid regexp /$test[1]/ : $@\n};
                            }

                            This way the regexps are parsed and compiled just once instead of
                            each time they are used.

                            > I'm sorry to have ruffled so many feathers, but just because one has
                            > 20 years of experience in a language does not mean they should look
                            > down on someone TRYING to learn it. Much less understand it andits
                            > quirkiness.

                            I think all this was unnecessary. Noone's picking on you.

                            > As for "top loading or top responding" Not my fault, blame Yahoo for
                            > doing that way.. hell blame the whole freaking internet for it,
                            > because that's just how it is done. Talk to the hand.

                            The fact that Yahoo (by default?) formats replies one way doesn't
                            mean you have to keep it that way. Top-posting is quite OK for
                            personal emails to a single recipient. For mailing lists its ... not
                            working too well. Always try to make it easy to the people you are
                            asking for help, even if it means you spend two more minutes
                            formatting the email.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 9, 2008
                              Thank you for responding.

                              --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Jenda Krynicky" <Jenda@...> wrote:

                              > From: "computerdribble" <computerdribble@...>
                              > > I humbly thank ALL who have read or responded.
                              > >
                              > > Can you, with all of the examples to date...
                              > > do away with the EVAL of the variable that contains the testing
                              > > information and just do a straight macro expansion ?
                              > >
                              > > $this = "that"
                              > > $that ="this"
                              > >
                              > > $test = ' ( ( "that" =~ /at/) and ( "this" =~ /at/ ) ) '
                              > >
                              > > something like @{[ $$test ] }
                              >
                              > No. You can't. It's as simple as that.

                              dang it all!
                              oh well.

                              > If you did not store the expression like this in the database, but
                              > instead stored the name of the variable and the regexp (and nothing
                              > else) in separate columns you could do something like
                              >
                              > if ($data{$varname} =~ /$regexp/) {
                              >
                              > where the $varname and $regexp comes from the database. Whether that
                              > would be enough for you, I don't know.
                              >
                              > Even in this case though it would be better to preprocess the
                              > regexps:
                              >
                              > foreach my $test (@tests) {
                              > # $test = [$varname, $regexp]
                              > eval {
                              > $test[1] = qr/$test[1]/
                              > } or die qq{Invalid regexp /$test[1]/ : $@\n};
                              > }

                              I would love to.. except there are certain instances that what needs
                              to be checked is.. well let me put it this way:

                              (( $field =~ /this/) and ( ($field =~ /that/) or ($field1 =~/a/) or
                              $field2 =~/xx/) or... or.... or.....) )

                              actually some of the rules/checks are quite extensive. I **wish**
                              they were easier.. but they are not and will probably be redefined to
                              something more tighter.. looking for VERY specific things.

                              I appreciate all of the help and guidance.

                              joe