About perl interpreter

  • Andrés Flórez
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2007
      Hi Everybody:

      I'm very new in perl but I'm trying to learn. My doubt is about how to
      use perl as python, in other words, in python you execute the
      interpreter at the command line (linux) writting directly, but I don't
      know if in perl could be the same.

      I will appreciate your help.

      all the best.

      --
      Andrés F. Flórez

      Associate Researcher
      PECET.
      Universidad de Antioquia.
      Medellín-Colombia.
      Carrera 53 # 61 - 30
      Phones: (574) 210 6507 / 02
      Fax: (574) 210 6511
      Cell phone: 3103462268
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2007

        Andrés> I'm very new in perl but I'm trying to learn. My doubt is about how to
        Andrés> use perl as python, in other words, in python you execute the
        Andrés> interpreter at the command line (linux) writting directly, but I don't
        Andrés> know if in perl could be the same.

        This is a FAQ. Please familiarize yourself with the faqs by at least reading
        the table of contents once a week or so until you can't stand it any more. :)

        Found in /usr/libdata/perl5/pod/perlfaq3.pod
        How can I use Perl interactively?
        The typical approach uses the Perl debugger, described in the
        perldebug(1) manpage, on an "empty" program, like this:

        perl -de 42

        Now just type in any legal Perl code, and it will be immediately
        evaluated. You can also examine the symbol table, get stack backtraces,
        check variable values, set breakpoints, and other operations typically
        found in symbolic debuggers.

      • Jenda Krynicky
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2007
          On 31 Oct 2007 at 14:48, Andrés Flórez wrote:
          > Hi Everybody:
          >
          > I'm very new in perl but I'm trying to learn. My doubt is about how to
          > use perl as python, in other words, in python you execute the
          > interpreter at the command line (linux) writting directly, but I don't
          > know if in perl could be the same.

          As usual, several. Apart from the

          perl -de 42

          there is my PSH : http://jenda.krynicky.cz/#PSH

          and Gregor N. Purdy's PSH :
          http://search.cpan.org/search?query=PSH&mode=module

          and probably a few others. (Yeah I know it's stupid that they are
          both named the same, I did not get the namespace registered in time
          even though mine is older. Or maybe not, we were both slow in
          registering and uploading. Well, whatever.)

          HTH, Jenda
          -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery