Getting the Owner name of a file!

  • skarlso777
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 18, 2007
      Hi there!

      I have a problem. I want to get the owner Name of a file, but not the
      uid. I must say i'm not a good hacker with this and i already tried
      getpwnam. No i don't know about in what version getpwnam is
      implemented but in my Perl 5.8.8. it is not.. and i can't upgrade
      because my company sticks to this version.

      So is there any other way to get an owner??

      Thank you,
      Gergely
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 18, 2007

        skarlso777> I have a problem. I want to get the owner Name of a file, but not
        skarlso777> the uid. I must say i'm not a good hacker with this and i already
        skarlso777> tried getpwnam. No i don't know about in what version getpwnam is
        skarlso777> implemented but in my Perl 5.8.8. it is not.. and i can't upgrade
        skarlso777> because my company sticks to this version.

        It's definitely in *unix* Perl 5.8.8, because it was in unix Perl 3.0
        (maybe even 2.0).

        Are you on windows without telling us that?

      • Gergely Brautigam
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 18, 2007
          Ahhh... Yes i am.. i'm sorry i haven't thougth about that... it's
          almost shifts end and i can't feel my brain :) Thank you for the quick
          answer!

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 19, 2007
            On second thouth... I'd still have no clue how the get the owner of a
            file in a windows environment without installing Win32 module which i
            cannot because i don't have CL.exe which is a visual c++ compiler
            tool... Any ideas???

            Thank you in advice,
            Gergely.

            ________________________________

            Ahhh... Yes i am.. i'm sorry i haven't thougth about that... it's
            almost shifts end and i can't feel my brain :) Thank you for the quick
            answer!

            <mailto:perl-beginner%40yahoogroups.com>

            --
            Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777
            0095 <merlyn@... <mailto:merlyn%40stonehenge.com> >
            <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/
            <http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/> >
            See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl
            training!

          • Jenda Krynicky
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 19, 2007
              From: "Gergely Brautigam" <Gergely_Brautigam@...>
              > On second thouth... I'd still have no clue how the get the owner of a
              > file in a windows environment without installing Win32 module which i
              > cannot because i don't have CL.exe which is a visual c++ compiler
              > tool... Any ideas???

              You do not need cl.exe, you can install the pre-compiled versions via
              PPM:

              ppm install Win32::AdminMisc

              HTH, Jenda
              -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
            • Gergely Brautigam
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 23, 2007
                Ohhh cool thx very much :) Sorry for the late response i was away from
                computer!

                Thank you hope it will help!

                Gergely.

                ________________________________

                ===== Jenda@... <mailto:Jenda%40Krynicky.cz> ===
                http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz <http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz> =====

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 23, 2007
                  Yo!

                  I don't have a module in ppm called Win32:AdminMisc. I have an
                  ActiveState Perl 5.8.8

                  Gergely.

                  ________________________________

                  From: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:perl-beginner%40yahoogroups.com>

                  From: "Gergely Brautigam" <Gergely_Brautigam@...

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 24, 2007
                    From: "Gergely Brautigam" <Gergely_Brautigam@...>
                    > I don't have a module in ppm called Win32:AdminMisc. I have an
                    > ActiveState Perl 5.8.8

                    It's in the Dave Roth's repository at
                    http://www.roth.net/perl/packages

                    c:\> ppm