So, why do you care what the IP is?

  • Lou Hernsen
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 14, 2007
      Why do I care...

      I am writing an online game and I at looking for ways to prevent cheating...
      1-Cookies
      2-Same (or similar IP address?)
      3-Small program on the other computer to verify its the same person?

      I also want to prevent password stealing by flooding a login with passwords
      of a name untill the corect password is found... my thoughts.

      1- 3 tries to log in from the web sight ,
      after that I send you an email to your email address with a link.
      Email address links that failed will lock the account and you have to
      contact ME to unlock it.. for a fee.

      Other ideas?

      Lou
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 14, 2007

        Lou> I am writing an online game and I at looking for ways to prevent cheating...
        Lou> 1-Cookies

        Can be defeated.

        Lou> 2-Same (or similar IP address?)

        Broken for all the reasons I just listed.

        Lou> 3-Small program on the other computer to verify its the same person?

        Not cross-platform.

        Lou> I also want to prevent password stealing by flooding a login with
        Lou> passwords of a name untill the corect password is found... my thoughts.

        This can lead to denial-of-service attacks locking out legitimate users. Be
        prepared for handling telephone support calls.

        Lou> 1- 3 tries to log in from the web sight ,
        Lou> after that I send you an email to your email address with a link.
        Lou> Email address links that failed will lock the account and you have to
        Lou> contact ME to unlock it.. for a fee.

        Oh great, so I can force someone else to pay you money, just by trying to fake
        their username three times. Wonderful. Bad Bad BAD customer service idea.

      • Lou Hernsen
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 14, 2007
          Hmm. agreed...
          any ideas on what TO do?