RE: [PBML] Capture IP address

  • Ramesh Polepalli
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 14, 2007
      You can check the modules installed. Check the link

      http://www.mimedefang.org/kwiki/index.cgi?PerlModulesINFO

      or use this script on web page

      1. #!/usr/bin/perl -w

      use ExtUtils::Installed;
      my $instmod = ExtUtils::Installed->new();
      foreach my $module ($instmod->modules()) {
      my $version = $instmod->version($module) || "Version Not Found";
      print "$module - $version\n";
      }

      Capturing IP,

      Check following links, this might give you some idea.

      http://www.scriptarchive.com/dano.html
      http://www.scriptarchive.com/download.cgi?s=dano&c=txt&f=dan_o%2Epl

      http://bignosebird.com/carchive/bnbbook.shtml

      Though not straight answer, Hope this helps.

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 14, 2007
        Allo!

        At 04:56 2007-09-14, you wrote:
        >Hi,
        >how can I capture the IP address of a user filling in a HTML form. The
        >backend procesing is using Perl. I dont know what modules are installed
        >by the ISP.

        For the visitor IP:

        $ENV{'REMOTE_ADDR'}

        If you need to have a listing of all environenet variable do the following:

        foreach $key (sort keys %ENV)
        {print "$key: $ENV{$key}\n" ;}

        Not sure about the syntax, I use a different, but must work.

        Good luck

        Gilles B.

        ---
        Webmasters helping webmasters
        http://www.balour.org/
      • zen_e_boy
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 14, 2007
          Thanks for your replies, I'll give them a go over the weekend.
          I also found a way of doing it in Javascript that I could quite easily
          pass back via a hidden field in the form.
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 14, 2007

            zen> Thanks for your replies, I'll give them a go over the weekend.
            zen> I also found a way of doing it in Javascript that I could quite easily
            zen> pass back via a hidden field in the form.

            Actually, to summarize points already made here:

            $ENV{REMOTE_ADDR} is the IP address of the connection to the server
            $ENV{REMOTE_HOST} *may* be the hostname of that connection

            Javascript *may* be used to get the IP address.

            == However ==

            Consider a browser sitting behind a NAT connecting to a server.
            Javascript will report the "local" address (before the NAT), while
            the ENVars will report the "public" address.

            Now, it gets worse.

            Consider a web server sitting behind an inbound proxy, such as a caching proxy
            or a corporate inbound firewall. Unless special work is performed, the ENVars
            will report the address of the *proxy*, not the public address of the client.

            I think the real question is, why do you care what IP is connecting?

            You can't use it for uniqueness (many users may have the same IP, and some
            hits during the same session may come in on separate IPs!). So, it won't work
            for a session management.

            You can't use it for access control (it's trivial to use TOR or other
            proxies to hide).

            So, why do you care what the IP is?

          • zen_e_boy
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 14, 2007
              All good and valid points, most of which I never thought of because Im
              not that strong on IP networking.
              Thanks for taking the time to reply.