Re: [PBML] Odd hash behavior...

  • a_z0_9_blah
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 7, 2007
      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Ryan J Nauman <RJNauman@...>
      wrote:

      > I have the following code for pushing a new value onto my hash:
      >
      > my %buckets;
      > push(@{ $buckets{"KEYNAME"} }, "new value");
      > my @keys = keys %buckets;
      > my @values = values %buckets;
      > print %buckets;
      > print "\n@keys[0] => @values[0]";
      >
      > This code yields the following output...
      >
      > KEYNAMEARRAY(0x15d702c)
      > KEYNAME => ARRAY(0x15d702c)
      >
      > Why won't it print "new value" ???

      Because $values[0] is an array reference.

      Try:
      print "\n$keys[0] => $values[0][0]";

      If you want a better explanation, see:
      http://perldoc.perl.org/perldsc.html

      (which wiil also lead you to several other manual pages to
      understand Perls datastructures)

      Chris
    • Jenda Krynicky
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 8, 2007
        - OK then.
        - Because then it's all backwards.
        - Why is that?
        - Please don't top-post!

        Ryan J Nauman <RJNauman@...> wrote:
        > Ah, excellent. However, allow my noobness to kick in. Alright so you
        > want me to create a hash that contains the entire list of words (values)
        > associated with their alphabetized version (keys)? Should I do this as
        > soon as I read in the input file? And should I continue with the line of
        > code "my @WORDS = <INFILE>;" and create the bucket directly after?
        >
        > Now for the "dumping each bucket" portion I don't follow. Assuming I am
        > following correctly on the first part, you're sorting the hash we made in
        > the first step correct? I don't understand the print line. And is this
        > used solely for sorting our newly created hash and then using my
        > conditions against this new word list?
        >
        > Once the "bucket" hash is created would it be beneficial to my programs
        > memory/execution time to close the INFILE and is there a way to delete the
        > original @WORDS array now that the improved hash is in place?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Ryan

        OK. Let me try to dissect the merlyn's code for you:

        > merlyn@... wrote:
        > Ooof, yeah. You're doing an exponential matching O(n squared)
        > instead of just stashing everything according to its anagram.
        >
        > You need to use a "bucket" approach. As you compute each anagram,
        > dump the original word into a bucket keyed by anagram, using a hash
        > of arrayrefs...
        >
        > my %bucket;

        Declare the %bucket hash. It's not initialized to anything, but will
        be used as a HashOfArrays.

        > for my $word (@words) {
        > my $alphaword = alphabetize($word);

        Let's sort the letters in the word

        > push @{$bucket{$alphaword}}, $word;

        And now let's the word at the the end of the array referenced by the
        value of the hash %bucket using the key $alphaword.

        When storing the first word containing a set of letters the
        $bucket{$alphaword} doesn't exist in the hash, but that doesn't
        matter. Perl will create it for us and as we are aparently expecting
        the value to be a reference to an array ( @$ref is the array pointed
        to by the reference stored in $ref) Perl even creates a brand new
        array for us and stores its reference in $bucket{$alphaword}.

        > }

        Once this loop completes all words in the @words array have been
        processed and are stored in the HashOfArrays named %bucket. They keys
        are the sorted sets of letters and the values of the hash are
        references to arrays containing the words.

        You may clear the @words array now.

        If your @words was created by
        my @WORDS = <INFILE>;

        You might actually get rid of the array completely and save memory.
        Just remove that statement and change the loop to

        while (my $word = <INFILE>) {
        chomp($word);
        my $alphaword = alphabetize($word);
        push @{$bucket{$alphaword}}, $word;
        }

        > Now it's simply a matter of dumping each bucket:
        >
        > for my $alphaword (sort keys %bucket) {
        > my $aref = $bucket{$alphaword};
        > print "@$aref\n";
        > }

        As I said, %bucket is a hash of arrayrefs so in the loop above we get
        the list of keys (the sorted sets of letters)
        keys %bucket
        sort it alphabetically
        sort keys %bucket
        and then loop through the sorted list, get the reference contained in
        the hash and print the values in the referenced array.

        HTH, Jenda

        -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery