creating Sessions

  • sarveshjangid
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2007
      Dear all,
      I have prepared one small application in cgi perl.
      I want to use login, logout etc through mysql. although i am able to
      authenticate the user but don't know how to maintain sessions .
      Please help.
      thanking in anticipation.
      sarvesh

      NB: I am a newbee to cgi and perl
    • Yogesh Sawant
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 12, 2007
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "sarveshjangid"
        <sarveshjangid@...> wrote:

        > Dear all,
        > I have prepared one small application in cgi perl.
        > I want to use login, logout etc through mysql. although i am able to
        > authenticate the user but don't know how to maintain sessions .
        > Please help.
        Use the CGI::Session module
        http://search.cpan.org/~markstos/CGI-Session-4.20/lib/CGI/Session.pm

        Cheers
        Yogesh
      • Ramesh Polepalli
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 12, 2007
          Hi team, Sarvesh,

          I am also working on same lines and this is the code I am using to store
          user id in the session.

          #!/usr/bin/perl -w

          use CGI;

          use CGI::Session;

          use DBI;

          #my $sid = $q->cookie('SessionId') || $q->param('SessionId') || undef;

          my $db_name="dbname";

          my $db_host="dhhost.domain.com";

          my $db_user="dbuser";

          my $db_pass="dbpass";

          # Prepare Database connection to store session values

          $dbh =
          DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:database=$db_name;host=$db_host","$db_user","$db
          _pass", {PrintError => 1, RaiseError => 1, AutoCommit => 1});

          my $q = new CGI;

          # Create new session vareable

          my $session = new CGI::Session("driver:MySQL;id:MD5", undef,
          {Handle=>$dbh});

          $session->param(-name =>'userid',-value => 'ramesh');

          $session->expire(5000);

          $cookie = $q->cookie(-name =>'SessionId',-value => $session->id );

          print $q->header(-cookie=>$cookie);

          print $q->h3("Cookie contains : $cookie ");

          print $q->start_html,

          $q->start_form(-name=>'testcookie',-method=>'post',-action=>'./cookie2.c
          gi'),

          $q->submit(-name=>'submit',-value=>'click to go to next page'),

          $q->end_form,

          $q->end_html;

          $dbh->disconnect();

          exit;

          Before starting with this, you need to create a table to hold session
          data.

          CREATE TABLE sessions (

          id CHAR(32) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,

          a_session TEXT NOT NULL

          );

          Well, I am successful only till here and able to verify the data stored
          in table.

          But having problem while retrieving information from session in the
          following pages.

          I have session id stored in the cookie and able to get session ID from
          cookie in the

          Let me know if you are able to dig further.

          Regards,

          Ramesh.

          ________________________________

          I have prepared one small application in cgi perl.
          I want to use login, logout etc through mysql. although i am able to
          authenticate the user but don't know how to maintain sessions .
          Please help.
          thanking in anticipation.
          sarvesh

          NB: I am a newbee to cgi and perl

          Ramesh Polepalli

          mFormation Technologies Inc.
          Direct Line: +91 80 6620 5939
          Switchboard: +91 80 6620 5900

          http://www.mformation.com

          Visit WWW.MFORMATION.COM and see how the MFORMATION SERVICE MANAGER can help you to transform your business.