Re: [PBML] Alphabetize a word

  • greenberg.d@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 5, 2007
      As for returning it as a string instead of an array of characters, look at the "join" function. With it, you can explicitly return a string.

      -David

      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 5, 2007
        to get your array in a string, try the join command:

        my $letters = join "", @letters;

        ----RJNauman@... wrote ----

        I wrote the following code to alphabetize a word:

        sub alphabetize
        {
        my $word = uc(shift);
        my $wordlen = length($word);
        my @letters;

        for (my $i = 0; $i < length $word; $i++)
        {
        push @letters, substr($word, $i, 1);
        }

        @letters = sort @letters;
        return @letters;
        }

        This function will always only receive one parameter. In this case I do
        not know if shift is the best method or not. $_ was not giving me
        anything so I went with shift. Alternatively, I think I could've used @_.
        Does it matter?

        If it can be optimized in any way I would appreciate pointers. My
        ultimate question though is I want it to return a string instead of the
        sorted character array that it is now. I can write it using a for loop
        and string concatenation but I think that would be extremely inefficient.
        Help appreciated!

      • Paul Archer
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 5, 2007
          Which gets us to the oneliner:
          perl -e ' $word="alphabetize"; print join "", (sort split ( //, $word)), "\n"'

          1:41pm, greenberg.d@... wrote:

          > As for returning it as a string instead of an array of characters, look at the "join" function. With it, you can explicitly return a string.
          >
          > -David
          >
          > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          "Can't you recognize bullshit? Don't you think it would be a
          useful item to add to your intellectual toolkits to be capable
          of saying, when a ton of wet steaming bullshit lands on your
          head, 'My goodness, this appears to be bullshit'?
          _____________Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"__________________

          -----11004 days until retirement!-----
        • Ryan J Nauman
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 5, 2007
            What does the pattern " //" break down to? I'm somewhat familiar with
            regular expressions and don't know what a forward slash does. I would
            have guessed the matching pattern would've been the "." character that
            matches any character (except \n).

            Paul Archer <tigger@...>
            Sent by: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
            09/05/2007 10:12 AM
            Please respond to
            perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com

            perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
            cc

            Subject
            Re: [PBML] Alphabetize a word

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 5, 2007
              The slashes delimit a regular expression. In this case, the regexp is empty.
              Using an empty regular expression for the split means that each character
              will become a separate element in our array.

              Paul

              10:21am, Ryan J Nauman wrote:

              > What does the pattern " //" break down to? I'm somewhat familiar with
              > regular expressions and don't know what a forward slash does. I would
              > have guessed the matching pattern would've been the "." character that
              > matches any character (except \n).
              >

              > Paul Archer <tigger@...>
              > Sent by: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
              > 09/05/2007 10:12 AM
              > Please respond to
              > perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com

              > perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
              > cc
              >
              > Subject
              > Re: [PBML] Alphabetize a word
              >

              > Which gets us to the oneliner:
              > perl -e ' $word="alphabetize"; print join "", (sort split ( //, $word)),
              > "\n"'
              >
              > 1:41pm, greenberg.d@... wrote:
              >
              >> As for returning it as a string instead of an array of characters, look
              > at the "join" function. With it, you can explicitly return a string.
              >>
              >> -David
              >>
              >> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              "You will always be lucky if you know how to make friends
              with strange cats." - Colonial American proverb

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 5, 2007
                Ah, thanks. Neat little trick. Well I finished my first complete working
                version of the code and is a bit sluggish. Though this is expected since
                the input file contains about 170,000 words stuffed into my @WORDS array.
                Wondering if you guys know any tricks to speed things up anywhere? Here
                is a link to my source code: http://pastie.textmate.org/94246

                Ryan

                Paul Archer <tigger@...>
                Sent by: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
                09/05/2007 11:28 AM
                Please respond to

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 5, 2007

                  Ryan> Ah, thanks. Neat little trick. Well I finished my first complete working
                  Ryan> version of the code and is a bit sluggish. Though this is expected since
                  Ryan> the input file contains about 170,000 words stuffed into my @WORDS array.
                  Ryan> Wondering if you guys know any tricks to speed things up anywhere? Here
                  Ryan> is a link to my source code: http://pastie.textmate.org/94246

                  Ooof, yeah. You're doing an exponential matching O(n squared)
                  instead of just stashing everything according to its anagram.

                  You need to use a "bucket" approach. As you compute each anagram,
                  dump the original word into a bucket keyed by anagram, using a hash
                  of arrayrefs...

                  my %buckets;
                  for my $word (@words) {
                  my $alphaword = alphabetize($word);
                  push @{$bucket{$alphaword}}, $word;
                  }

                  Now it's simply a matter of dumping each bucket:

                  for my $alphaword (sort keys %bucket) {
                  my $aref = $bucket{$alphaword};
                  print "@$aref\n";
                  }

                  That will be infinitely faster when you get above a few hundred words.

                • Ryan J Nauman
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 5, 2007
                    Ah, excellent. However, allow my noobness to kick in. Alright so you
                    want me to create a hash that contains the entire list of words (values)
                    associated with their alphabetized version (keys)? Should I do this as
                    soon as I read in the input file? And should I continue with the line of
                    code "my @WORDS = <INFILE>;" and create the bucket directly after?

                    Now for the "dumping each bucket" portion I don't follow. Assuming I am
                    following correctly on the first part, you're sorting the hash we made in
                    the first step correct? I don't understand the print line. And is this
                    used solely for sorting our newly created hash and then using my
                    conditions against this new word list?

                    Once the "bucket" hash is created would it be beneficial to my programs
                    memory/execution time to close the INFILE and is there a way to delete the
                    original @WORDS array now that the improved hash is in place?

                    Thanks,
                    Ryan

                    merlyn@...
                    Sent by: perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
                    09/05/2007 12:36 PM
                    Please respond to
                    perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com

                    Ryan J Nauman <RJNauman@...>
                    cc

                    --
                    Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777
                    0095

                  • Ryan J Nauman
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 7, 2007
                      Can someone please help me understand what is being explained here? I
                      thought I understood it after looking at it a second time but the part
                      that confuses me now is the declare of "my %buckets" but we never use it,
                      we use a scalar called $bucket. So, now I am completely lost.

                      If someone could break it down, it'd be much appreciated.

                      ------------------------
                      Ryan

                      merlyn@... (Randal L. Schwartz)
                      09/05/2007 12:36 PM

                      Ryan J Nauman <RJNauman@...>
                      cc

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 7, 2007
                        I have the following code for pushing a new value onto my hash:

                        my %buckets;
                        push(@{ $buckets{"KEYNAME"} }, "new value");
                        my @keys = keys %buckets;
                        my @values = values %buckets;
                        print %buckets;
                        print "\n@keys[0] => @values[0]";

                        This code yields the following output...

                        KEYNAMEARRAY(0x15d702c)
                        KEYNAME => ARRAY(0x15d702c)

                        Why won't it print "new value" ???

                        I'm running perl, v5.8.8 build 822 from ActiveState.

                      • bike2ride
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 7, 2007
                          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Ryan J Nauman <RJNauman@...> wrote:

                          > I have the following code for pushing a new value onto my hash:
                          >
                          > my %buckets;
                          > push(@{ $buckets{"KEYNAME"} }, "new value");
                          > my @keys = keys %buckets;
                          > my @values = values %buckets;
                          > print %buckets;
                          > print "\n@keys[0] => @values[0]";
                          >
                          > This code yields the following output...
                          >
                          > KEYNAMEARRAY(0x15d702c)
                          > KEYNAME => ARRAY(0x15d702c)
                          >
                          > Why won't it print "new value" ???
                          >
                          > I'm running perl, v5.8.8 build 822 from ActiveState.

                          With

                          use strict;
                          use warnings;

                          you get the hint that you are not using Perl properly.

                          Scalar value @keys[0] better written as $keys[0] at t.pl line 10.
                          Scalar value @values[0] better written as $values[0] at t.pl line 10.

                          my %bucket = (
                          KEYNAME => 'new value',
                          ANOTHER => 'another value',
                          );

                          foreach my $key (keys %bucket) {
                          print "key = $key, value = $bucket{$key}\n";
                          }

                          for more information -> web search "perl hash howto"

                          gl
                        • a_z0_9_blah
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 7, 2007
                            wrote:

                            > I have the following code for pushing a new value onto my hash:
                            >
                            > my %buckets;
                            > push(@{ $buckets{"KEYNAME"} }, "new value");
                            > my @keys = keys %buckets;
                            > my @values = values %buckets;
                            > print %buckets;
                            > print "\n@keys[0] => @values[0]";
                            >
                            > This code yields the following output...
                            >
                            > KEYNAMEARRAY(0x15d702c)
                            > KEYNAME => ARRAY(0x15d702c)
                            >
                            > Why won't it print "new value" ???

                            Because $values[0] is an array reference.

                            Try:
                            print "\n$keys[0] => $values[0][0]";

                            If you want a better explanation, see:
                            http://perldoc.perl.org/perldsc.html

                            (which wiil also lead you to several other manual pages to
                            understand Perls datastructures)

                            Chris
                          • Jenda Krynicky
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 8, 2007
                              - OK then.
                              - Because then it's all backwards.
                              - Why is that?
                              - Please don't top-post!

                              Ryan J Nauman <RJNauman@...> wrote:
                              > Ah, excellent. However, allow my noobness to kick in. Alright so you
                              > want me to create a hash that contains the entire list of words (values)
                              > associated with their alphabetized version (keys)? Should I do this as
                              > soon as I read in the input file? And should I continue with the line of
                              > code "my @WORDS = <INFILE>;" and create the bucket directly after?
                              >
                              > Now for the "dumping each bucket" portion I don't follow. Assuming I am
                              > following correctly on the first part, you're sorting the hash we made in
                              > the first step correct? I don't understand the print line. And is this
                              > used solely for sorting our newly created hash and then using my
                              > conditions against this new word list?
                              >
                              > Once the "bucket" hash is created would it be beneficial to my programs
                              > memory/execution time to close the INFILE and is there a way to delete the
                              > original @WORDS array now that the improved hash is in place?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              > Ryan

                              OK. Let me try to dissect the merlyn's code for you:

                              > merlyn@... wrote:
                              > Ooof, yeah. You're doing an exponential matching O(n squared)
                              > instead of just stashing everything according to its anagram.
                              >
                              > You need to use a "bucket" approach. As you compute each anagram,
                              > dump the original word into a bucket keyed by anagram, using a hash
                              > of arrayrefs...
                              >
                              > my %bucket;

                              Declare the %bucket hash. It's not initialized to anything, but will
                              be used as a HashOfArrays.

                              > for my $word (@words) {
                              > my $alphaword = alphabetize($word);

                              Let's sort the letters in the word

                              > push @{$bucket{$alphaword}}, $word;

                              And now let's the word at the the end of the array referenced by the
                              value of the hash %bucket using the key $alphaword.

                              When storing the first word containing a set of letters the
                              $bucket{$alphaword} doesn't exist in the hash, but that doesn't
                              matter. Perl will create it for us and as we are aparently expecting
                              the value to be a reference to an array ( @$ref is the array pointed
                              to by the reference stored in $ref) Perl even creates a brand new
                              array for us and stores its reference in $bucket{$alphaword}.

                              > }

                              Once this loop completes all words in the @words array have been
                              processed and are stored in the HashOfArrays named %bucket. They keys
                              are the sorted sets of letters and the values of the hash are
                              references to arrays containing the words.

                              You may clear the @words array now.

                              If your @words was created by
                              my @WORDS = <INFILE>;

                              You might actually get rid of the array completely and save memory.
                              Just remove that statement and change the loop to

                              while (my $word = <INFILE>) {
                              chomp($word);
                              my $alphaword = alphabetize($word);
                              push @{$bucket{$alphaword}}, $word;
                              }

                              > Now it's simply a matter of dumping each bucket:
                              >
                              > for my $alphaword (sort keys %bucket) {
                              > my $aref = $bucket{$alphaword};
                              > print "@$aref\n";
                              > }

                              As I said, %bucket is a hash of arrayrefs so in the loop above we get
                              the list of keys (the sorted sets of letters)
                              keys %bucket
                              sort it alphabetically
                              sort keys %bucket
                              and then loop through the sorted list, get the reference contained in
                              the hash and print the values in the referenced array.

                              HTH, Jenda

                              -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery