Testing Perl Locally?

  • youwenjia
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi,

      I have installed ActivePerl on my computer which is not a server. Perl
      scripts run well at DOS prompt. However, when I use a browser (IE,
      Firefox) to access perl scripts (*.pl), it will display the content of
      the script or the browser will ask me to download it. How do I make
      them run and the results (often a webpage) can be viewed the browser?
      (Note, both Perl and the browser all lie in the same computer; no
      server is involved.)
    • Mr. Shawn H. Corey
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2007
        youwenjia wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have installed ActivePerl on my computer which is not a server. Perl
        > scripts run well at DOS prompt. However, when I use a browser (IE,
        > Firefox) to access perl scripts (*.pl), it will display the content of
        > the script or the browser will ask me to download it. How do I make
        > them run and the results (often a webpage) can be viewed the browser?
        > (Note, both Perl and the browser all lie in the same computer; no
        > server is involved.)

        Unfortunately, a server must be involved. You have to install and run a local (your machine only) web server to execute CGIs. Alternatively, you could rewrite everything as AJAX. Both, however, are beyond the scope of this list.

        --
        Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
        Shawn

        "For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them."
        Aristotle