Simple Perl Programming Tools

  • gwutt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2007
      I probably should give some background before I ask my question.

      I am a long-time UNIX shell scripter, primarily wrapper scripts to
      operationalize and automate batch programs and tasks. My new job has me
      working with both UNIX and Windows systems. We currently use something
      called Automate from Network Automation to write similar type scripts on
      Windows systems and we don't yet have anything for UNIX.

      Automate is a graphical, menu-driven, drag-and-drop development tool
      that creates scripts using only psuedocode. It's not necessary to
      know any specific programming language's syntax. I'm fairly
      certain it uses VB script underneath the covers. Automate also allows
      for some basic scheduling of your scripted tasks. It's actually
      pretty neat. I was able to write some scripts immediately without
      knowing anything about VB and never having written a script on a Windows
      machine.

      My challenge is this. We need to create scripts that can be called by
      an external scheduler for both Windows and UNIX systems. I thought this
      would be a good opportunity to use something that's platform
      independent so our methodologies could be consistent regardless of the
      platform on which it runs. I considered sticking with what I know best
      and using Cygwin to run shell scripts on the Windows machines. However,
      I have had bad experiences with the reliability of Cygwin in a
      production environment in the past. Then I thought of Perl. My
      experience in Perl is also limited. I've done limited Perl script
      interpretation but no actual development.

      I hope to find a simple, graphical development tool like Automate, but
      instead of generating VB scripts underneath the covers it develops Perl
      scripts. That way we could deploy to Windows, UNIX and Linux platforms
      alike. Does such a thing exist for Perl? If so, what are my options?
      I don't think I'll be able to sell Perl to the team if they all
      have to learn all the syntax. But if there is such a "Perl for
      Dummies" script builder out there we should have no problem
      switching to that for both our Windows and UNIX needs.

      Any advice you have is appreciated. Thanks.