PERL

  • sangi_sin
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 17, 2007
      What does the acronym for PERL "Practical Extraction and Reporting
      Language" mean?
    • J.E. Cripps
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 17, 2007
        > What does the acronym for PERL "Practical Extraction and Reporting
        > Language" mean?

        Wikipedia introduction to the notion of "acronym" might well be
        adequate, but I haven't looked at it.

        It's "Perl" or "perl" you want, not "PERL".
        From perldoc perlfaq1:

        What's the difference between "perl" and "Perl"?

        One bit. Oh, you weren't talking ASCII? :-) Larry now uses "Perl" to
        signify the language proper and "perl" the implementation of it, i.e.
        the current interpreter. Hence Tom's quip that "Nothing but perl can
        parse Perl." You may or may not choose to follow this usage. For
        example, parallelism means "awk and perl" and "Python and Perl" look
        OK, while "awk and Perl" and "Python and perl" do not. But never write
        "PERL", because perl is not an acronym, apocryphal folklore and post-
        facto expansions notwithstanding.

        The quoted phrase is a retrofitted expansion, as the 'faq
        section says.