Client end file creation question

  • Lou Hernsen
    Message 1 of 7 , May 14 6:16 PM
      I am writing an online game and I want to create a file on the clients
      computer, like a cookie but not a cookie, that will help me be aware of game
      bots and cheating..

      Is it possible to, using perl, create, read, write & erase a dir and
      txt.file on the client side computer? Yes or no.

      if no, what will? flash? PHP?

      thanks
      Lou
      Message 2 of 7 , May 14 7:09 PM

        Lou> I am writing an online game and I want to create a file on the clients
        Lou> computer, like a cookie but not a cookie, that will help me be aware of game
        Lou> bots and cheating..

        Lou> Is it possible to, using perl, create, read, write & erase a dir and
        Lou> txt.file on the client side computer? Yes or no.

        Lou> if no, what will? flash? PHP?

        Nothing. Thank goodness! Imagine the security hole that this would be!

      • Mike Southern
        Message 3 of 7 , May 14 7:23 PM
          On 5/14/07 9:16 PM, Lou Hernsen at lhernsen1015@... wrote:

          > I am writing an online game and I want to create a file on the clients
          > computer, like a cookie but not a cookie, that will help me be aware of game
          > bots and cheating..
          >
          > Is it possible to, using perl, create, read, write & erase a dir and
          > txt.file on the client side computer? Yes or no.

          Not using HTTP server/client interactions. No. Never. What you'd actually be
          writing is a trojan.

          However ... If your audience is closed and known, and you feel like a ton of
          heartache, you can write an application in perl and compile it to an Intel
          .EXE file using perl2exe. Your users can install the application which
          itself interacts with your server and implements the controls that you need.

          This is for acedemic discussion though, and for your interest only! Don't
          try this unless you want to kep lawyers in business for a long time.

          Mike

          "Give a man a squirrel and he'll eat for a day. Give him a gun and he'll
          shoot hmself in the leg and go hungry all week".
        • Lou Hernsen
          Message 4 of 7 , May 15 5:16 AM
            Well .. umm... a trojan is a program masquerading as something else.
            I feel your tacking the label of a trojan is a bit harsh... I would be up
            front
            with the player about exactly what is going on and asking permission.
            So no.. it would NOT be a "trojan". I understand your concerns,
            but I am not desiring to be malicious.

            What I have learned is how OTHERS, who do have malicious intent,
            can missuse programs....are there other program type that I should be aware
            of?
            I want to protect my computer from all malicious programming. I thought
            Flash
            allowed for client computer manipulation... is there a web site or mail list
            that I can learn more about internet security.

            Thanks
            Lou

            Message 5 of 7 , May 15 5:23 AM

              Lou> I want to protect my computer from all malicious programming. I thought
              Lou> Flash allowed for client computer manipulation...

              If permitted. For example, if a flash app wants to open my microphone, it has
              to ask me.

              Lou> is there a web site or
              Lou> mail list that I can learn more about internet security.

              This is a HUGE field. Dozens of websites. Dozens of mailing lists. You'll
              have to be far more specific, and spend a lot more time. It's not something
              you'll learn in an afternoon.

            • Mike Southern
              Message 6 of 7 , May 15 6:33 AM
                On 5/15/07 8:16 AM, Lou Hernsen at lhernsen1015@... wrote:

                > I feel your tacking the label of a trojan is a bit harsh...

                It's not personal.

                The architectire of what you are describong involves a process remote from
                the client altering structures and data *on* the client. There is an implict
                trust that the client must have in the server/controller. To embedded OS
                functions like firewalls this process looks like a trojan "backdoor"
                activity, so it is useful to think of it in terms of how the user and their
                computer would see it.

                Great care must be taken to check check error error check check over and
                over. By implication you want to alter and interfere with a users
                environment - even if invited to do so. Be mindful that 9 of 10 Windows
                detractprs hate that this is precisely what Microsoft wants to do with their
                PCs.

                Not that I'd try to discourage or detract you from your goals but if it were
                me, in such a complex arena where I may not have the required experience I
                would be asking myself if there really wasn't another way of achieving what
                I want to do.

                Mike
              • Lou Hernsen
                Message 7 of 7 , May 15 8:00 AM
                  I understand.... I am a person who attempts be honest, ethical and
                  unhypocritical in
                  my efforts. And I thank you for your concerns and protecting me and others
                  from what could be deemed, unethical actions. No offence taken.
                  Cheers
                  Lou Hernsen