How to send mail from command line on solaris 10

  • Ramesh Polepalli
    Message 1 of 4 , May 10, 2007
      Hi,

      How to send mail from command line on solaris 10 without using any
      applications like "sendmail"?

      I have heard of mail, mailx but did not work with some examples found
      online.

      Is there any configuration to be done to enable the commands to work?

      Thanks in advance for the help.

      Ramesh Polepalli

      mFormation Technologies Inc.
      Direct Line: +91 80 6620 5939
      Switchboard: +91 80 6620 5900

      http://www.mformation.com

      Visit WWW.MFORMATION.COM and see how the MFORMATION SERVICE MANAGER can help you to transform your business.

    • Paul Archer
      Message 2 of 4 , May 11, 2007
        First of all, what does this have to do with Perl, and so why did you send
        it to the Perl Beginner Mailing List?
        Second, what kind of problem are you having with mail & mailx? Or would you
        prefer we just guess?

        Paul

        12:06pm, Ramesh Polepalli wrote:

        > Hi,
        >

        > How to send mail from command line on solaris 10 without using any
        > applications like "sendmail"?
        >

        > I have heard of mail, mailx but did not work with some examples found
        > online.
        >

        > Is there any configuration to be done to enable the commands to work?
        >

        > Thanks in advance for the help.
        >

        > Ramesh Polepalli
        >

        > mFormation Technologies Inc.
        > Direct Line: +91 80 6620 5939
        > Switchboard: +91 80 6620 5900
        >
        > http://www.mformation.com
        >

        > Visit WWW.MFORMATION.COM and see how the MFORMATION SERVICE MANAGER can help you to transform your business.

        Whenever you feel anger, you should say,
        "May I be free of this anger!"
        This rarely works, but talking to yourself in
        public will encourage others to leave you alone.
        --------------David M. Bader--------------------
      • Ramesh Polepalli
        Message 3 of 4 , May 11, 2007
          Paul,

          Requirement is to write a perl script that can send out mails.

          I don't have liberty to use sendmail as we do not use it and the

          sendmail package will not be available on love box.

          So I need to use some Solaris command like mail or mailx in

          Perl script to achieve the target. (This is as far as I can think).

          Since I am not aware of perl much. I am looking out for some

          tips or working/implemented examples to send mail that people

          in this group might be willing to share.

          Regards,

          Ramesh.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 11, 2007

            Ramesh> So I need to use some Solaris command like mail or mailx in

            Ramesh> Perl script to achieve the target. (This is as far as I can think).

            Or use Net::SMTP and talk to an SMTP port directly. And there are modules
            built on top of that as well.

            Invoking an MUA (sendmail, mailx, etc) from Perl is ripe with potential
            problems for security, as well as being generally wasteful of resources.