return file handger

  • jiqiang yao
    Message 1 of 11 , May 10, 2007
      Hi,

      I want to write a subroutine for openfile (see below).
      However, the subroutine failed to be returned to
      $fhandle. Can anybody tells me why?

      yao

      $fhandle = openfile("test.txt");

      sub openfile{
      $fname = $_[0];
      open(filehandler, $fname) || die "Couldn't open the
      file.\n";

      return (\*filehandler);

      http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
      Message 2 of 11 , May 10, 2007

        jiqiang> I want to write a subroutine for openfile (see below).
        jiqiang> However, the subroutine failed to be returned to
        jiqiang> $fhandle. Can anybody tells me why?

        Yes, stop using package-based filehandles. Use lexical filehandles.

        sub openfile {
        open my $handle, "<", shift or die "Cannot open: $!";
        return $handle;
        }

        But if it's this short, I wouldn't even write a subroutine.

      • jiqiang yao
        Message 3 of 11 , May 14, 2007
          Thank you very much.

          Can you write a similar one to open a directory?

          --- merlyn@... wrote:

          > <jiqiang123@...> writes:
          >
          > jiqiang> I want to write a subroutine for openfile
          > (see below).
          > jiqiang> However, the subroutine failed to be
          > returned to
          > jiqiang> $fhandle. Can anybody tells me why?
          >
          > Yes, stop using package-based filehandles. Use
          > lexical filehandles.
          >
          > sub openfile {
          > open my $handle, "<", shift or die "Cannot open:
          > $!";
          > return $handle;
          > }
          >
          > But if it's this short, I wouldn't even write a
          > subroutine.
          >
          > --
          > Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services,
          > Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
          > <merlyn@...>
          > <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
          > Perl/Unix/security consulting, Technical writing,
          > Comedy, etc. etc.
          > See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and
          > open-enrollment Perl training!

          ____________________________________________________________________________________Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search
          that gives answers, not web links.
        • Rob Biedenharn
          Message 4 of 11 , May 14, 2007
            That's an odd way to phrase a request for Randall's consulting
            rates? Perhaps you could try
            perldoc -f opendir
            before you decide whether you really want to hire a consultant.

            -Rob

            Rob@...
            Message 5 of 11 , May 14, 2007

              jiqiang> Can you write a similar one to open a directory?

              Yes. I can. What's your budget?

              :-)

            • jiqiang yao
              Message 6 of 11 , May 14, 2007
                Hi,
                How to save the contents as html file given an
                internet address?

                ____________________________________________________________________________________Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
              • jiqiang yao
                Message 7 of 11 , May 14, 2007
                  Thank you, Rob.
                  I have written a subroutine which can extract all the
                  files within this folder and this is exactly what I
                  need.

                  It's here! Your new message!
                • Damien Carbery
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 15, 2007
                    --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, jiqiang yao <jiqiang123@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    > How to save the contents as html file given an
                    > internet address?

                    use LWP::Simple;
                    my $status = getstore( 'http://www.yahoo.com', 'yahoo-home.html' );
                    print "File downloaded." if is_success($status);