Re: [PBML] Warning messages

    Message 1 of 11 , May 10, 2007

      Mirza> Why these warning messages appears, what is the reason? How we can cater this?

      Mirza> Use of uninitialized value in numeric gt (>)

      My guess is that you have undef on one side or another of >.

      Mirza> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string

      Again, just guessing, but I bet you have undef on one side or another
      of a concatenation, or an interpolation "foo $x bar".

      You'll need to show a minimal code snippet that demonstrates these errors to
      get more help.

    • jiqiang yao
      Message 2 of 11 , May 10, 2007
        Hi,

        I want to write a subroutine for openfile (see below).
        However, the subroutine failed to be returned to
        $fhandle. Can anybody tells me why?

        yao

        $fhandle = openfile("test.txt");

        sub openfile{
        $fname = $_[0];
        open(filehandler, $fname) || die "Couldn't open the
        file.\n";

        return (\*filehandler);

        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
        Message 3 of 11 , May 10, 2007

          jiqiang> I want to write a subroutine for openfile (see below).
          jiqiang> However, the subroutine failed to be returned to
          jiqiang> $fhandle. Can anybody tells me why?

          Yes, stop using package-based filehandles. Use lexical filehandles.

          sub openfile {
          open my $handle, "<", shift or die "Cannot open: $!";
          return $handle;
          }

          But if it's this short, I wouldn't even write a subroutine.

        • jiqiang yao
          Message 4 of 11 , May 14, 2007
            Thank you very much.

            Can you write a similar one to open a directory?

            --- merlyn@... wrote:

            > <jiqiang123@...> writes:
            >
            > jiqiang> I want to write a subroutine for openfile
            > (see below).
            > jiqiang> However, the subroutine failed to be
            > returned to
            > jiqiang> $fhandle. Can anybody tells me why?
            >
            > Yes, stop using package-based filehandles. Use
            > lexical filehandles.
            >
            > sub openfile {
            > open my $handle, "<", shift or die "Cannot open:
            > $!";
            > return $handle;
            > }
            >
            > But if it's this short, I wouldn't even write a
            > subroutine.
            >
            > --
            > Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services,
            > Inc. - +1 503 777 0095
            > <merlyn@...>
            > <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
            > Perl/Unix/security consulting, Technical writing,
            > Comedy, etc. etc.
            > See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and
            > open-enrollment Perl training!

            ____________________________________________________________________________________Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search
            that gives answers, not web links.
          • Rob Biedenharn
            Message 5 of 11 , May 14, 2007
              That's an odd way to phrase a request for Randall's consulting
              rates? Perhaps you could try
              perldoc -f opendir
              before you decide whether you really want to hire a consultant.

              -Rob

              Rob@...
              Message 6 of 11 , May 14, 2007

                jiqiang> Can you write a similar one to open a directory?

                Yes. I can. What's your budget?

                :-)

              • jiqiang yao
                Message 7 of 11 , May 14, 2007
                  Hi,
                  How to save the contents as html file given an
                  internet address?

                  ____________________________________________________________________________________Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
                • jiqiang yao
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 14, 2007
                    Thank you, Rob.
                    I have written a subroutine which can extract all the
                    files within this folder and this is exactly what I
                    need.

                    It's here! Your new message!
                  • Damien Carbery
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 15, 2007
                      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, jiqiang yao <jiqiang123@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      > How to save the contents as html file given an
                      > internet address?

                      use LWP::Simple;
                      my $status = getstore( 'http://www.yahoo.com', 'yahoo-home.html' );
                      print "File downloaded." if is_success($status);