RE: [PBML] Re: Sys admin monitor script for solaris

  • Ramesh Polepalli
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17, 2007
      Kiran,

      Thanks for the response.

      I am actually interested in the "Peace od perl code"

      I know that

      1. "sar -r 1" will give the free memory and free swap memory status but
      does not talk actual avail able memory

      2. "echo '::memstat' |mdb -k" will give the free memory available but
      takes little more time on busy box.

      3. "vmstat" can also be used to determine the available free memory but
      not the actual memory (Both physical and swap).

      4. "prtconf | head -2 | tail -1" will display the actual physical
      memory available on the machine.

      5. "swap -s" can be used to determine the available swap memory but this
      is different from what we see in "df -k" or "df -h"

      I am trying to figure out standard procedure to determine the used/free
      memory status for both physical and swap.

      It will be very helpful If some one can share the script that is being
      used by some monitoring tool or let me know the logic being used.

      Thanks and regards,

      Ramesh.

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 18, 2007
        You should probably take this to a solaris sysadmin type list, as this is
        much more about what Solaris does and how it does it, than anything to do
        with Perl.
        What you'll get here is simply: my $output = `sar -r 1`
        but you sound like you need more info on what numbers are actually
        important. (Hint: Solaris/Unix caches a lot of stuff in memory, so you're
        likely to see most of your memory "used" even though it's just for caching.)

        Paul

        11:39am, Ramesh Polepalli wrote:

        > I know that
        >
        > 1. "sar -r 1" will give the free memory and free swap memory status but
        > does not talk actual avail able memory
        >
        > 2. "echo '::memstat' |mdb -k" will give the free memory available but
        > takes little more time on busy box.
        >
        > 3. "vmstat" can also be used to determine the available free memory but
        > not the actual memory (Both physical and swap).
        >
        > 4. "prtconf | head -2 | tail -1" will display the actual physical
        > memory available on the machine.
        >
        > 5. "swap -s" can be used to determine the available swap memory but this
        > is different from what we see in "df -k" or "df -h"
        >

        > I am trying to figure out standard procedure to determine the used/free
        > memory status for both physical and swap.
        >

        > It will be very helpful If some one can share the script that is being
        > used by some monitoring tool or let me know the logic being used.
        >

        > Thanks and regards,
        >

        > Ramesh.

        ------------The UNIX Guru's View of Sex-----------
        # unzip ; strip ; touch ; finger ; mount ; fsck ;\