Fwd: Yahoogroups login - Yahoo2mbox.pl

  • Sarah fox
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hi,

      I'm more familiar with PHP than Perl -however I have been looking for
      a wee while & cannot locate a php script to do this job.

      I have searched the web (google) & found yahoo2mbox.pl - which logs into
      Yahoogroups & downloads the emails....

      http://www.tt-solutions.com/en/products/yahoo2mbox/

      -----------------

      QUESTION. I'm assuming it actually "logs in" - Instead of downloads
      from a PUBLIC archive ? (is this true ?? )

      & can I run the script 2-3 times (one every 5 minutes), & it knows im
      already logged in from the 1st time)

      looking at the script - I have found
      # the name of the group to get messages from
      my $groupname;

      QUESTION :- should this be changed to :-
      # the name of the group to get messages from
      my $groupname="groupnamehere";

      ????

      & get it to retrieve that page (changing the group name of course),
      and save to a disk/server.....

      Extra :-

      A) I'll have a directory of *.txt files, each file would contain a
      1-line URL of the page I want to retrieve...

      EG :-

      B) I'll open up one of the files, - retrieve the line, & pass the line
      into the (changed) yahoo2mbox script...

      C) I'll then do a loop (finding a file that does not exist)

      EG
      1.out
      2.out
      3.out etc... When it finds a file that doesn't exist - Pass the
      value/contents of the Yahoogroups into the file....

      Most of the above I can do - the only one I am not experienced in, is
      the logging in & retrieving parts...

      - I know the PHP of the loop / Counting / file open/save routines etc
      & think the Perl versions would be easy to find out...

      Any advise would be appreciated...

      (or has anyone got a script already done - to retrieve a certain page
      (eg members list) )
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2007

        Sarah> Hi,
        Sarah> I'm more familiar with PHP than Perl -however I have been looking for
        Sarah> a wee while & cannot locate a php script to do this job.

        Sarah> I have searched the web (google) & found yahoo2mbox.pl - which logs into
        Sarah> Yahoogroups & downloads the emails....

        Sarah> http://www.tt-solutions.com/en/products/yahoo2mbox/

        If you're asking a question of a specific script that you did not write, it's
        generally going to be FAR faster to write the original author (or do whatever
        they indicate for support options) than to ask on a public mailing list like
        this. If you have already done that, you should have indicated that in your
        posting here.

        If you're asking how to write such a script, look at the Mail::Webmail::Yahoo
        and Mail::Client::Yahoo modules in the CPAN. They look a little old, so they
        may not work well (in fact, *nothing* may work well) with the recent
        web-2.0-ish redesign of most of Yahoo's products.

        At http://developer.yahoo.com/mail/, there are code samples for the currently
        supported API. It looks like they offer a JSON-based API now, which is cool.
        The bad news is that free accounts appear to be restricted to not actually
        being able to download email, so I hope you have a premium account.

      • Sarah fox
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2007
          On 4/2/07, Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn@...> wrote:

          > Sarah> http://www.tt-solutions.com/en/products/yahoo2mbox/
          >
          > If you're asking a question of a specific script that you did not write, it's
          > generally going to be FAR faster to write the original author (or do whatever
          > they indicate for support options) than to ask on a public mailing list like
          > this. If you have already done that, you should have indicated that in your
          > posting here.

          I've emailed him/her a few days ago.. - (no response as yet)....

          > If you're asking how to write such a script, look at the Mail::Webmail::Yahoo
          > and Mail::Client::Yahoo modules in the CPAN. They look a little old, so they
          > may not work well (in fact, *nothing* may work well) with the recent
          > web-2.0-ish redesign of most of Yahoo's products.

          Thanks, I'll look at those modules... - I guess most things improve &
          get rid of 'bugs' - So legitimate programmes need to keep up with
          them..

          > At http://developer.yahoo.com/mail/, there are code samples for the currently
          > supported API. It looks like they offer a JSON-based API now, which is cool.
          > The bad news is that free accounts appear to be restricted to not actually
          > being able to download email, so I hope you have a premium account.

          Didn't know that existed - Thankyou.... - Im not intertested in
          downloading mail - but this programme (above) is the closest thing ive
          seen that logs into Yahoogroups)... - Once I get in, I can adjust the
          script to suit...