Re: [PBML] problem while installing IO:Socket on solaris 10 box.

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2007
      12:16pm, Ramesh wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I am new to Perl installing IO:Socket on solaris 10 box.
      >
      > I downloaded IO-1.2301.tar.gz extracted and tried to install
      >
      > Since I dont have cc, I am using gcc instead and is in the PATH.
      >
      > first command works fine.
      > =========================
      > perl Makefile.PL CC=gcc CCCDLFLAGS=-fPIC OPTIMIZE=" " LD=gcc
      >
      > When I run Make i am finding following error message
      >
      > cp IO/Handle.pm blib/lib/IO/Handle.pm
      > cp IO/Dir.pm blib/lib/IO/Dir.pm
      > cp IO/Socket/INET.pm blib/lib/IO/Socket/INET.pm
      > cp IO/Poll.pm blib/lib/IO/Poll.pm
      > cp IO/Pipe.pm blib/lib/IO/Pipe.pm
      > cp IO/Seekable.pm blib/lib/IO/Seekable.pm
      > cp IO/Socket.pm blib/lib/IO/Socket.pm
      > cp IO/Select.pm blib/lib/IO/Select.pm
      > cp IO/File.pm blib/lib/IO/File.pm
      > cp IO.pm blib/lib/IO.pm
      > cp IO/Socket/UNIX.pm blib/lib/IO/Socket/UNIX.pm
      > /bin/perl /usr/perl5/5.8.4/lib/ExtUtils/xsubpp -
      > typemap /usr/perl5/5.8.4/lib/ExtUtils/typemap IO.xs > IO.xsc && mv
      > IO.xsc IO.c
      > gcc -c -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -xarch=v8 -

      v8 is SPARCv8, the old 32-bit CPU series. Everything these days (definitely
      including your box, since it is running Sol 10) is SPARCv9, the 64-bit CPUs.
      Either you got a really old/bad version of GCC, or you've got an
      environmental variable set wrong. Start with looking at the output of 'gcc -v'.

      Paul

      The wonder of all the Internet security problems is that they
      are continually labeled as 'e-mail viruses' or 'Internet worms,'
      rather than the more correct designation of 'Windows viruses' or
      'Microsoft Outlook viruses.'" --Robert X. Cringely
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2007

        Ramesh> Hi,
        Ramesh> I am new to Perl installing IO:Socket on solaris 10 box.

        Since IO::Socket is core, you don't need to install it. It's already
        there.