accessing MDB Access database from UNIX Perl

  • Robert Brown
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2007
      Question - I need to upload an Access database to UNIX. What Perl module would help me open, read and execute an SQL statement on it returning data in flat file or comma-delimited format?

      Thanks for any assistance

      Bob

    • Robert Fisher
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 6, 2007
        The only module I'm familiar with to access an Access MDB
        would be a DBI and DBD::ODBC combination. However, even with ODBC
        providers such as unixODBC, this still would not work directly on
        a UNIX machine because the Jet library, which is proprietary to
        Microsoft systems, was never ported as far as I'm aware.

        The simplest solution is to use Access to export to either a
        CSV or some other, non proprietary format, and use that on your unix
        system. Or even to move the data into a RDBMS such as Microsoft's
        SQL Server or MySQL.