Re: Makefile question

  • Damien Carbery
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2007
      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "John Hoey" <primefocuser@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm trying to build some code under Windows XP that I got off CPAN.
      > Specifically, I'm tryingto build Win32-API-0.46 because I need to
      > write some socket code. After I downloaded and exploded the .tar.gz
      > file, I typed 'perl Makefile'. That seemed to go fine. I then typed
      > 'nmake' but got the following error message:
      >
      > Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 1.50
      > Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights reserved.
      >
      > cl -c -nologo -O1 -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG -DWIN32 -D_CONSOLE
      > -DNO_STRICT -DHAV
      > E_DES_FCRYPT -DPERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT -DPERL_IMPLICIT_SYS
      > -DPERL_MSVCRT_READFIX -
      > O1 -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG -DVERSION=\"0.46\" -DXS_VERSION=\"0.46\"
      > -IC:\Perl\lib\
      > CORE Callback.c
      > 'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
      > operable program or batch file.
      > NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code
      > '0x1'
      > Stop.
      > NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code
      > '0x2'
      > Stop.
      >
      > I grepped around to find where 'cl' is defined to be the compiler of
      > choice but have not been able to find it. Does anyone know where I
      > should look? Also, I plan to replace it with 'gcc'. Any concerns?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > John

      Yes, cl.exe is the compiler executable for Microsoft Visual C++. You
      could see it as the equivalent of the gcc binary.

      I believe that you can download Visual Studio 2005 Express, an IDE
      including the Visual C++ compiler.

      If you have ActivePerl
      (http://www.activestate.com/products/activeperl/) the Win32::API
      module might be available (pre-built) in the PPM (Perl Package
      Manager). It can be easily downloaded from there, without the need for
      a compiler.
      equivalent
      I believe that you can download Visual C