Re: Log file is not created, what am I not doing correctly please?

  • Damien Carbery
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2007
      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "chipwillis2003"
      <chipwillis2003@...> wrote:

      > I have tried various ways of creating this log file but I can not
      > seem to get Perl to create it. I can create it with the Windows file
      > manager so I have permission.
      >
      > Here are some of the ways I have tried it with no success. What am I
      > doing wrong?
      >
      > 1)
      > open(FILEHANDLE,">c:\ActivityOnLine.log");
      >
      > 1a)
      > open(FILEHANDLE,">ActivityOnLine.log");

      I am not sure why 1a failed, but in '1', try using double backslashes
      or a forward slash i.e.
      open(FILEHANDLE,">c:\\ActivityOnLine.log");
      or
      open(FILEHANDLE,">c:/ActivityOnLine.log");

      When your 'open' calls you should display the system error message:
      print "The error is: $!\n";
      It should give you useful information.
    • chip willis
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2007
        Yes and I have read them and I have even posted some of the sample code from them that I have tried but I do not seem to be doing something right. There are samples on about everything but if i could of gottem them to work I would not have asked here. I do not want to wasted anyones time. i tried for a couple of hours on this and other issues before posting.
        Thank you,
        Chip

        There are many good tutorials out there for this kind of simple questions.

        Hans