Makefile question

  • John Hoey
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2007
      I'm trying to build some code under Windows XP that I got off CPAN.
      Specifically, I'm tryingto build Win32-API-0.46 because I need to
      write some socket code. After I downloaded and exploded the .tar.gz
      file, I typed 'perl Makefile'. That seemed to go fine. I then typed
      'nmake' but got the following error message:

      Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 1.50
      Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights reserved.

      cl -c -nologo -O1 -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG -DWIN32 -D_CONSOLE
      -DNO_STRICT -DHAV
      E_DES_FCRYPT -DPERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT -DPERL_IMPLICIT_SYS
      -DPERL_MSVCRT_READFIX -
      O1 -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG -DVERSION=\"0.46\" -DXS_VERSION=\"0.46\"
      -IC:\Perl\lib\
      CORE Callback.c
      'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
      operable program or batch file.
      NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code
      '0x1'
      Stop.
      NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code
      '0x2'
      Stop.

      I grepped around to find where 'cl' is defined to be the compiler of
      choice but have not been able to find it. Does anyone know where I
      should look? Also, I plan to replace it with 'gcc'. Any concerns?

      Thanks,
      John
    • Damien Carbery
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2007
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "John Hoey" <primefocuser@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm trying to build some code under Windows XP that I got off CPAN.
        > Specifically, I'm tryingto build Win32-API-0.46 because I need to
        > write some socket code. After I downloaded and exploded the .tar.gz
        > file, I typed 'perl Makefile'. That seemed to go fine. I then typed
        > 'nmake' but got the following error message:
        >
        > Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 1.50
        > Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights reserved.
        >
        > cl -c -nologo -O1 -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG -DWIN32 -D_CONSOLE
        > -DNO_STRICT -DHAV
        > E_DES_FCRYPT -DPERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT -DPERL_IMPLICIT_SYS
        > -DPERL_MSVCRT_READFIX -
        > O1 -MD -Zi -DNDEBUG -DVERSION=\"0.46\" -DXS_VERSION=\"0.46\"
        > -IC:\Perl\lib\
        > CORE Callback.c
        > 'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
        > operable program or batch file.
        > NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code
        > '0x1'
        > Stop.
        > NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe' : return code
        > '0x2'
        > Stop.
        >
        > I grepped around to find where 'cl' is defined to be the compiler of
        > choice but have not been able to find it. Does anyone know where I
        > should look? Also, I plan to replace it with 'gcc'. Any concerns?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > John

        Yes, cl.exe is the compiler executable for Microsoft Visual C++. You
        could see it as the equivalent of the gcc binary.

        I believe that you can download Visual Studio 2005 Express, an IDE
        including the Visual C++ compiler.

        If you have ActivePerl
        (http://www.activestate.com/products/activeperl/) the Win32::API
        module might be available (pre-built) in the PPM (Perl Package
        Manager). It can be easily downloaded from there, without the need for
        a compiler.
        equivalent
        I believe that you can download Visual C