Log file is not created, what am I not doing correctly please?

  • chipwillis2003
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2 1:22 PM
      I have tried various ways of creating this log file but I can not
      seem to get Perl to create it. I can create it with the Windows file
      manager so I have permission.

      Here are some of the ways I have tried it with no success. What am I
      doing wrong?

      1)
      open(FILEHANDLE,">c:\ActivityOnLine.log");

      1a)
      open(FILEHANDLE,">ActivityOnLine.log");

      2)
      $FH = "FILEHANDLE";
      $FilePath = "c:\SOARimports\API_Log_files\ActivityOnLine.log";
      create(FH, $FilePath, O_CREAT);

      3)
      sysopen (HTML, 'ActivityOnLine.log', O_RDWR|O_EXCL|O_CREAT, 0755);
      printf HTML "<html>\n";
      printf HTML "<head>\n";
      printf HTML "<title>My Home Page</title>";
      printf HTML "</head>\n";
      printf HTML "<body>\n";
      printf HTML "<p align='center'>Here we have an HTML page with a
      paragraph.</p>";
      printf HTML "</body>\n";
      printf HTML "</html>\n";
      close (HTML);

      Thank you,
      Chip
    • Hans Witschi
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2 9:00 PM
        There are many good tutorials out there for this kind of simple questions.

        Hans

        On 3/2/07, chipwillis2003 <chipwillis2003@...> wrote:

        > I have tried various ways of creating this log file but I can not
        > seem to get Perl to create it. I can create it with the Windows file
        > manager so I have permission.
        >
        > Here are some of the ways I have tried it with no success. What am I
        > doing wrong?
        >
        > 1)
        > open(FILEHANDLE,">c:\ActivityOnLine.log");
        >
        > 1a)
        > open(FILEHANDLE,">ActivityOnLine.log");
        >
        > 2)
        > $FH = "FILEHANDLE";
        > $FilePath = "c:\SOARimports\API_Log_files\ActivityOnLine.log";
        > create(FH, $FilePath, O_CREAT);
        >
        > 3)
        > sysopen (HTML, 'ActivityOnLine.log', O_RDWR|O_EXCL|O_CREAT, 0755);
        > printf HTML "<html>\n";
        > printf HTML "<head>\n";
        > printf HTML "<title>My Home Page</title>";
        > printf HTML "</head>\n";
        > printf HTML "<body>\n";
        > printf HTML "<p align='center'>Here we have an HTML page with a
        > paragraph.</p>";
        > printf HTML "</body>\n";
        > printf HTML "</html>\n";
        > close (HTML);
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Chip

      • Damien Carbery
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4 4:31 AM
          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "chipwillis2003"
          <chipwillis2003@...> wrote:

          > I have tried various ways of creating this log file but I can not
          > seem to get Perl to create it. I can create it with the Windows file
          > manager so I have permission.
          >
          > Here are some of the ways I have tried it with no success. What am I
          > doing wrong?
          >
          > 1)
          > open(FILEHANDLE,">c:\ActivityOnLine.log");
          >
          > 1a)
          > open(FILEHANDLE,">ActivityOnLine.log");

          I am not sure why 1a failed, but in '1', try using double backslashes
          or a forward slash i.e.
          open(FILEHANDLE,">c:\\ActivityOnLine.log");
          or
          open(FILEHANDLE,">c:/ActivityOnLine.log");

          When your 'open' calls you should display the system error message:
          print "The error is: $!\n";
          It should give you useful information.
        • chip willis
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5 9:39 AM
            Yes and I have read them and I have even posted some of the sample code from them that I have tried but I do not seem to be doing something right. There are samples on about everything but if i could of gottem them to work I would not have asked here. I do not want to wasted anyones time. i tried for a couple of hours on this and other issues before posting.
            Thank you,
            Chip