How can I remove the quotes from within this array or cvs file?

  • chipwillis2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2007
      How can I remove the quotes from within this array?
      Or would I read the entire file first and remove the quotes from it
      first?
      Can I get an example of the best solution?
      Here is my code:

      # open the comma delimated file
      open (TXTFILE, "c:/SOARimports/NU_AD2032_ILINC_EXTRACT_stf.csv") or
      die("Unable to open file");
      @lines = <TXTFILE>;

      # read file into an array
      foreach $data(@lines) {
      #loop through file putting users in array here
      # split the line of text by comma
      my @values = split(',', $data);

      # put the line into an array
      my($InstructorID,$InstFname,$InstLname,$InstEmail) = @values;

      Here is an example of the cvs file:
      "100043093","Long,Paul",longps@...

      I need to remove the quotes.
      Thank you,
      Chip
    • kiran
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2007
        Hi,
        You can use ..split with the pattern /"/ and get rid of the quotes
        in the array@values.

        Something like this .....split(/"/,@values);

        should do.

        Rgds,
        Kiran Polu

        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "chipwillis2003"
        <chipwillis2003@...> wrote:

        > How can I remove the quotes from within this array?
        > Or would I read the entire file first and remove the quotes from it
        > first?
        > Can I get an example of the best solution?
        > Here is my code:
        >
        > # open the comma delimated file
        > open (TXTFILE, "c:/SOARimports/NU_AD2032_ILINC_EXTRACT_stf.csv") or
        > die("Unable to open file");
        > @lines = <TXTFILE>;
        >
        > # read file into an array
        > foreach $data(@lines) {
        > #loop through file putting users in array here
        > # split the line of text by comma
        > my @values = split(',', $data);
        >
        > # put the line into an array
        > my($InstructorID,$InstFname,$InstLname,$InstEmail) = @values;
        >
        > Here is an example of the cvs file:
        > "100043093","Long,Paul",longps@...
        >
        > I need to remove the quotes.
        > Thank you,
        > Chip

      • Yogesh Sawant
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 13, 2007
          <chipwillis2003@...> wrote:

          > How can I remove the quotes from within this array?
          > Or would I read the entire file first and remove the quotes from it
          > first?
          > Can I get an example of the best solution?
          > Here is my code:
          >
          > # open the comma delimated file
          > open (TXTFILE, "c:/SOARimports/NU_AD2032_ILINC_EXTRACT_stf.csv") or
          > die("Unable to open file");
          > @lines = <TXTFILE>;
          >
          > # read file into an array
          > foreach $data(@lines) {
          > #loop through file putting users in array here

          $data =~ s/\"//g; # remove all double quotes