Re: [PBML] Need your help.

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 15, 2007

      Jenda> Which module to use depends on the preference of the developer and the
      Jenda> task at hand ... what library is it based on is IMHO a secondary
      Jenda> concern.

      Yeah, I guess, if you don't care about anything like speed, quality of unicode
      support, or what binary libraries you have installed (or can install) on your
      system. Yeah, those are all very unimportant things. :)

      [end sarcasm]

      To me, those are the most important, since the libraries that sit on top of
      them all provide all of the basic functionality. These days, anything that
      uses XML::LibXML gets my preference over anything else, just because of the
      speed and space issues.

    • Jenda Krynicky
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 15, 2007
        From: merlyn@... (Randal L. Schwartz)

        > Jenda> Which module to use depends on the preference of the developer
        > and the Jenda> task at hand ... what library is it based on is IMHO a
        > secondary Jenda> concern.
        >
        > Yeah, I guess, if you don't care about anything like speed, quality of
        > unicode support, or what binary libraries you have installed (or can
        > install) on your system. Yeah, those are all very unimportant things.
        > :)
        >
        > [end sarcasm]
        >
        > To me, those are the most important, since the libraries that sit on
        > top of them all provide all of the basic functionality. These days,
        > anything that uses XML::LibXML gets my preference over anything else,
        > just because of the speed and space issues.

        Most of the modules, with very different interfaces, are based on
        either libxml or expat. I bet you can bang me over my head about
        something that libxml does and expat doesn't, but the speed doesn't
        seem to be the thing. And what style of parser do you use matters
        much more as the XML grows. And I doubt it's any easier to install
        libxml than expat (or vise versa). Sure, if you only have and only
        can have one, then you do not get to choose.

        Sorry, but your original response still looks to me like talking
        about engines when someone asks about cars. Yeah, engines are
        important, but I don't think that was the question.

        BTW, from XML::LibXML::SAX docs:

        NOTE: At the moment XML::LibXML provides only an incomplete interface
        to libxml2's native SAX implementaion. The current implementation is
        not tested in production environment. It may causes significant
        memory problems or shows wrong behaviour. If you run into specific
        problems using this part of XML::LibXML, let me know.

        I don't know about you, but I'm a little worried.

        Jenda
        -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
      • manoj mitra
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 15, 2007
          Actually, my intension was to ask for a web link, through I can gather indepth knowledge of SAX, DOM and else...

          Manoj