Re: [PBML] Redefining the behaviour of warn.

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2007

      Muttley> Hi.
      Muttley> I have the code:

      Muttley> $SIG{__WARN__} = sub { print $_[0]; } ;

      Muttley> I'm expecting that when i use
      Muttley> warn "WARN"; only "WARN" will be printed to STDERR, no other text.
      Muttley> but perl is smart to tell me the file and the line, even though I did
      Muttley> not requested
      Muttley> that:
      Muttley> WARN at ./1.pl line 4.

      Muttley> Is there a way not to print the file and the line ?

      $ perldoc -f warn
      warn LIST
      Produces a message on STDERR just like "die", but doesn't exit
      or throw an exception.
      $ perldoc -f die
      die LIST
      If the last element of LIST does not end in a newline, the
      current script line number and input line number (if any) are
      also printed, and a newline is supplied. Note that the "input
      line number" (also known as "chunk") is subject to whatever
      notion of "line" happens to be currently in effect, and is also
      available as the special variable $.. See "$/" in perlvar and
      "$." in perlvar.

      What part of that is unclear? How much of this did you look up
      before posting?

    • Rob Biedenharn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 10, 2007
        On Jan 10, 2007, at 7:23 AM, Muttley Meen wrote:

        > Hi.
        >
        > I have the code:
        >
        > $SIG{__WARN__} = sub { print $_[0]; } ;
        >
        > I'm expecting that when i use
        > warn "WARN"; only "WARN" will be printed to STDERR, no other text.
        > but perl is smart to tell me the file and the line, even though I did
        > not requested
        > that:
        > WARN at ./1.pl line 4.
        >

        > Is there a way not to print the file and the line ?
        >

        > --
        > Thanks

        Try:
        warn "WARN\n";

        And then read about why die and warn:
        perldoc perlfunc

        The entry for 'die' explains the behavior on the ending "\n"

        -Rob

        Rob@...
      • Muttley Meen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 10, 2007