Re: [PBML] using BackTicks in perl

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2006

      Raja> Hi All,
      Raja> Anyone used backticks in Perl? Here is what I am trying to do
      Raja> $x = `mkdir /mnt`;

      Why are you using external mkdir when Perl has a mkdir already?
      Faster, cheaper, more portable. Hard to beat.

      Raja> print "$x";

      Raja> Is there anyway to catch the output? Or does backticks return anything?

      That's catching stdout. Maybe the external command is generating stderr.

    • Rob Biedenharn
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 12, 2006
        On Dec 12, 2006, at 11:15 AM, Raja Rajasekaram wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Anyone used backticks in Perl? Here is what I am trying to do
        > $x = `mkdir /mnt`;
        > print "$x";
        >
        > Is there anyway to catch the output? Or does backticks return
        > anything?
        >
        > Thanks

        What else have you tried?

        What does this give you:
        $x = `pwd`;
        print $x;

        What did you expect to find in $x after $x=`mkdir /mnt`; ?

        -Rob

        Rob@...