Re: [PBML] Need SORT & SUBSTR help please

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21, 2006
      7:25pm, Luinrandir Hernsen wrote:

      > @Keys = sort {$a cmp $b} substr(@Keys,9,);
      >
      > I want to sort an array starting at the 9th character
      > of each string in the array.
      > I have a feeling i'm missing a delimiter, maybe????

      substr returns a string, not a list--so using on a list (array) isn't going
      to get you anywhere. You want to use it on the $a and $b variables instead.

      Paul
    • Rob Biedenharn
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2006
        On Nov 21, 2006, at 2:36 PM, Paul Archer wrote:

        > 7:25pm, Luinrandir Hernsen wrote:
        >
        >> @Keys = sort {$a cmp $b} substr(@Keys,9,);
        >>
        >> I want to sort an array starting at the 9th character
        >> of each string in the array.
        >> I have a feeling i'm missing a delimiter, maybe????
        >>

        > substr returns a string, not a list--so using on a list (array)
        > isn't going
        > to get you anywhere. You want to use it on the $a and $b variables
        > instead.
        >
        > Paul

        @sorted = sort { substr($a,8) cmp substr($b,8) } @Keys

        The characters of a string are indexed from 0, so the 9th character
        is at index 8.

        -Rob

        Rob@...
      • Lou Hernsen
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 21, 2006
          Ahhh
          man I acxtually understand what you wrote!
          You wrote:
          > @sorted = sort { substr($a,8) cmp substr($b,8) } @Keys
          I wrote:
          Sort is the command and you set the area of the string to alphabatize in the
          Comparision part of
          the command. I didn't know that could be done.

          Thanks so much... man.. I really see the beauty of it!
          thanks!
          Lou