Perl compiler

  • tnas
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 13, 2006
      Hello folks,

      I would like of get informations about the perl compiler. I don't understand very well if Perl is a compiled or interpreted language. Where I could get these informations?

      Thanks in advance.

      perl -e '$_="tMM naaCt Feocmama_itpUilucoGa";$_.=$1,print $2 while s/(..)(.)//;print substr$_,1,1;'

    • Donato Azevedo
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 2006
        On 11/13/06, tnas <nascimentothiago@...> wrote:
        > Hello folks,
        >
        > I would like of get informations about the perl compiler. I don't understand very well if Perl is a compiled or interpreted language. Where I could get these informations?

        O Reilly provides a sample chapter on the book Programming Perl, 3rd
        edition which is very good on this subject:
        http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pperl3/chapter/ch18.html

        Reminding that perl is neither just compiled. nor just interpreted. it
        is somewhere between both =)
        --
        Donato Azevedo
        Engenharia de Controle e Automação UFMG
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 13, 2006
          On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 07:47:11PM +0000, Donato Azevedo wrote:
          > On 11/13/06, tnas <nascimentothiago@...> wrote:
          > > Hello folks,
          > >
          > > I would like of get informations about the perl compiler. I don't understand very well if Perl is a compiled or interpreted language. Where I could get these informations?
          >
          > O Reilly provides a sample chapter on the book Programming Perl, 3rd
          > edition which is very good on this subject:
          > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pperl3/chapter/ch18.html
          >
          > Reminding that perl is neither just compiled. nor just interpreted. it
          > is somewhere between both =)

          . . . keeping in mind that the part of the parser's process that
          involves "compiling" does not compile to machine native code like a C
          compiler, but rather to something more like bytecode or parse trees.
          I'm not sure of all the details, but that's what I get from what I've
          read (including the camel book, Programming Perl).