[PBML] Re: [Help] perl telnet command error

  • Damien Carbery
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 2006
      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, karthik karthi <karthiknce@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I downloaded the tar file and created a directory
      (home/karthra/Net), then placed the tar file inside it and tried
      executing the perl Makefile.PL command . After that i got the
      following error ..

      > Can't open perl script "Makefile.PL": No such file or directory
      >
      > Do i need to untar the file ? kindly suggest me in this . This may
      look a stupid question . But as i am a beginner kindly bare ..Thanx in
      advance ..

      > Regards,
      > karthik.

      Yes, you need to untar the Net-Telnet-3.03.tar.gz file:

      $ gunzip -c Net-Telnet-3.03.tar.gz | tar -xf -
      $ cd Net-Telnet-3.0.3
      $ perl Makefile.pl
      $ make
      $ make test
      $ make install

      What OS are you using? Windows? Linux?
      If you are on Windows, do you have ActiveState perl?

      <karthiknce@> wrote:

      > > Hi All,
      > > I want to automate my testcases which i used to perform in
      > > UNIX so went for perl . In one place i need to use this telnet
      > > command . Where as in unix we used to give as telnet 46.167.346.178
      > > etc .But when we want to use the same in perl i am not handy .I used
      > > in the below mentioned ways to perform telnet command but i was
      > > faile to do soo..
      > >
      > > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
      > > use Net::Telnet;
      > > $telnet = new Net::Telnet ( Timeout=>10,
      > > Errmode=>'die');
      > > $telnet->open('47.132.11.138');
      > > $telnet->waitfor('/login: $/i');
      > > $telnet->print('karthik');
      > > $telnet->waitfor('/password: $/i');
      > > $telnet->print('RAj234ta');
      > > $telnet->waitfor('/\$ $/i');
      > >
      > > but when i run i am facing the following errors ..
      > >
      > > Can't locate Net/Telnet.pm in @INC at ./telnet line 2.
      > > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./telnet line 2.
      > >

      > > where telnet is the file name .. I am performing this in HP-UNIX
      > >
      > > It would be great if you could help me ..Thax in advance
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > karthik
      > >
      > The Net::Telnet module is not on your system.
      > You can download it from cpan.org:
      > http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Net/Net-Telnet-3.03.readme
      > http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Net/Net-Telnet-3.03.tar.gz
      >
      > If you have ActiveState Perl on Windows you can use 'ppm'. Run ppm.bat
      > and enter 'install Net-Telnet'
    • karthiknce
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2006
        Hi Damien,

        I have downloaded the Tar file from CPAN wedsite and when i execute
        it i am facing the following problem ..

        thunga:/home/karthra/net-telnet-3.03-109 >perl makefile.pl
        Can't locate ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm in @INC at makefile.pl line 3.
        BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at makefile.pl line 3.
        thunga:/home/karthra/net-telnet-3.03-110 >

        thunga:/home/karthra/net-telnet-3.03-110 >ls -lrt
        total 300
        -rwxrwxrwx 1 karthra ws25 5368 Nov 13 03:48 changelog*
        -rwxrwxrwx 1 karthra ws25 394 Nov 13 03:48
        makefile.pl*
        -rwxrwxrwx 1 karthra ws25 67 Nov 13 03:48 manifest*
        -rwxrwxrwx 1 karthra ws25 4141 Nov 13 03:48 readme*
        -rwxrwxrwx 1 karthra ws25 801 Nov 13 03:48 select.t*
        -rwxrwxrwx 1 karthra ws25 130748 Nov 13 03:48 telnet.pm*
        thunga:/home/karthra/net-telnet-3.03-111 >

        Perl verson is
        thunga:/home/karthra-26>perl -v

        This is perl, version 5.004

        Copyright 1987-1997, Larry Wall

        Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic
        License or the
        GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5.0
        source kit.

        would you advise me what to do on this issue .. thanx in advance ..

        Regards,
        karthik

        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Damien Carbery"