[Help] perl telnet command error

  • karthiknce
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2006
      Hi All,
      I want to automate my testcases which i used to perform in
      UNIX so went for perl . In one place i need to use this telnet
      command . Where as in unix we used to give as telnet 46.167.346.178
      etc .But when we want to use the same in perl i am not handy .I used
      in the below mentioned ways to perform telnet command but i was
      faile to do soo..

      #!/usr/bin/perl -w
      use Net::Telnet;
      $telnet = new Net::Telnet ( Timeout=>10,
      Errmode=>'die');
      $telnet->open('47.132.11.138');
      $telnet->waitfor('/login: $/i');
      $telnet->print('karthik');
      $telnet->waitfor('/password: $/i');
      $telnet->print('RAj234ta');
      $telnet->waitfor('/\$ $/i');

      but when i run i am facing the following errors ..

      Can't locate Net/Telnet.pm in @INC at ./telnet line 2.
      BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./telnet line 2.

      where telnet is the file name .. I am performing this in HP-UNIX

      It would be great if you could help me ..Thax in advance

      Regards,
      karthik
    • Damien Carbery
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2006
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "karthiknce" <karthiknce@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > I want to automate my testcases which i used to perform in
        > UNIX so went for perl . In one place i need to use this telnet
        > command . Where as in unix we used to give as telnet 46.167.346.178
        > etc .But when we want to use the same in perl i am not handy .I used
        > in the below mentioned ways to perform telnet command but i was
        > faile to do soo..
        >
        > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
        > use Net::Telnet;
        > $telnet = new Net::Telnet ( Timeout=>10,
        > Errmode=>'die');
        > $telnet->open('47.132.11.138');
        > $telnet->waitfor('/login: $/i');
        > $telnet->print('karthik');
        > $telnet->waitfor('/password: $/i');
        > $telnet->print('RAj234ta');
        > $telnet->waitfor('/\$ $/i');
        >
        > but when i run i am facing the following errors ..
        >
        > Can't locate Net/Telnet.pm in @INC at ./telnet line 2.
        > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./telnet line 2.
        >

        > where telnet is the file name .. I am performing this in HP-UNIX
        >
        > It would be great if you could help me ..Thax in advance
        >
        > Regards,
        > karthik

        The Net::Telnet module is not on your system.
        You can download it from cpan.org:
        http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Net/Net-Telnet-3.03.readme
        http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Net/Net-Telnet-3.03.tar.gz

        If you have ActiveState Perl on Windows you can use 'ppm'. Run ppm.bat
        and enter 'install Net-Telnet'
      • karthik karthi
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2006
          Hi All,
          I thank every one for helping me .. I shall follow those steps which you all had mentioned ... and reply once it is done ..

          Regards,
          karthik

          Damien Carbery <daymobrew@...> wrote:
          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "karthiknce" <karthiknce@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          > I want to automate my testcases which i used to perform in
          > UNIX so went for perl . In one place i need to use this telnet
          > command . Where as in unix we used to give as telnet 46.167.346.178
          > etc .But when we want to use the same in perl i am not handy .I used
          > in the below mentioned ways to perform telnet command but i was
          > faile to do soo..
          >
          > #!/usr/bin/perl -w
          > use Net::Telnet;
          > $telnet = new Net::Telnet ( Timeout=>10,
          > Errmode=>'die');
          > $telnet->open('47.132.11.138');
          > $telnet->waitfor('/login: $/i');
          > $telnet->print('karthik');
          > $telnet->waitfor('/password: $/i');
          > $telnet->print('RAj234ta');
          > $telnet->waitfor('/\$ $/i');
          >
          > but when i run i am facing the following errors ..
          >
          > Can't locate Net/Telnet.pm in @INC at ./telnet line 2.
          > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./telnet line 2.
          >

          > where telnet is the file name .. I am performing this in HP-UNIX
          >
          > It would be great if you could help me ..Thax in advance
          >
          > Regards,
          > karthik

          The Net::Telnet module is not on your system.
          You can download it from cpan.org:
          http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Net/Net-Telnet-3.03.readme
          http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Net/Net-Telnet-3.03.tar.gz

          If you have ActiveState Perl on Windows you can use 'ppm'. Run ppm.bat
          and enter 'install Net-Telnet'

          Regards,
          karthik.R

          " IF NOT U !
          THEN WHO?
          IF NOT NOW !
          THEN WHEN? "

        • Brad Lhotsky
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2006
            You might also want to consider changing your password.

            You might also think about not using Telnet, and using Net::SSH::Perl
            (which has quite a few dependencies) as an alternate method.

            --
            Brad Lhotsky
          • karthik karthi
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2006
              Hi All,

              I downloaded the tar file and created a directory (home/karthra/Net), then placed the tar file inside it and tried executing the perl Makefile.PL command . After that i got the following error ..

              Can't open perl script "Makefile.PL": No such file or directory

              Do i need to untar the file ? kindly suggest me in this . This may look a stupid question . But as i am a beginner kindly bare ..Thanx in advance ..

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 7, 2006
                --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, karthik karthi <karthiknce@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi All,
                >
                > I downloaded the tar file and created a directory
                (home/karthra/Net), then placed the tar file inside it and tried
                executing the perl Makefile.PL command . After that i got the
                following error ..

                > Can't open perl script "Makefile.PL": No such file or directory
                >
                > Do i need to untar the file ? kindly suggest me in this . This may
                look a stupid question . But as i am a beginner kindly bare ..Thanx in
                advance ..

                > Regards,
                > karthik.

                Yes, you need to untar the Net-Telnet-3.03.tar.gz file:

                $ gunzip -c Net-Telnet-3.03.tar.gz | tar -xf -
                $ cd Net-Telnet-3.0.3
                $ perl Makefile.pl
                $ make
                $ make test
                $ make install

                What OS are you using? Windows? Linux?
                If you are on Windows, do you have ActiveState perl?

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 13, 2006
                  Hi Damien,

                  I have downloaded the Tar file from CPAN wedsite and when i execute
                  it i am facing the following problem ..

                  thunga:/home/karthra/net-telnet-3.03-109 >perl makefile.pl
                  Can't locate ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm in @INC at makefile.pl line 3.
                  BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at makefile.pl line 3.
                  thunga:/home/karthra/net-telnet-3.03-110 >

                  thunga:/home/karthra/net-telnet-3.03-110 >ls -lrt
                  total 300
                  -rwxrwxrwx 1 karthra ws25 5368 Nov 13 03:48 changelog*
                  -rwxrwxrwx 1 karthra ws25 394 Nov 13 03:48
                  makefile.pl*
                  -rwxrwxrwx 1 karthra ws25 67 Nov 13 03:48 manifest*
                  -rwxrwxrwx 1 karthra ws25 4141 Nov 13 03:48 readme*
                  -rwxrwxrwx 1 karthra ws25 801 Nov 13 03:48 select.t*
                  -rwxrwxrwx 1 karthra ws25 130748 Nov 13 03:48 telnet.pm*
                  thunga:/home/karthra/net-telnet-3.03-111 >

                  Perl verson is
                  thunga:/home/karthra-26>perl -v

                  This is perl, version 5.004

                  Copyright 1987-1997, Larry Wall

                  Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic
                  License or the
                  GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5.0
                  source kit.

                  would you advise me what to do on this issue .. thanx in advance ..

                  Regards,
                  karthik

                  --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "Damien Carbery"