Re: [PBML] Writing a Perl Script for Amateur Astronomy Web Event

  • drgert1
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 8, 2006
      Hi Randal,

      Thank you for clarifying your previous post. As I don't have any code
      that addresses my problem I can't address your first alternative.
      Second: As best as I can (re)phrase it I am looking for Perl's
      capabilities to detect the appearence of a new file in a directory
      (WindowsXP). Any suggestions on how to do that are greatly
      appreciated. Third: You are bringing up a great suggestion with resp.
      to having someone write the code. I would very much like to make this
      call to the community to step up and help out. The stargazer group
      that I want to do this project for is non-profit and so no money can
      be paid for the contribution. However the individual would help the
      public outreach for education in science and promoting the case of
      astronomy. Of course credits for the contribution will be given on the
      event web page. I encourage you to check out the Trivalleystargazers
      group webpage to see our activities in the public.
      http://www.trivalleystargazers.org/

      Many thanks,

      Gert

      > The way this works is that you write some code, post that, and ask
      questions
      > about that, OR you ask a specific Perl question, OR you hire someone
      (see
      > jobs.perl.org). So far, you're not doing any of those.

      777 0095
      training!

    • Arun Pandey
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 8, 2006
        Hey Gert,
        IMO capturing an OS event would be a litle complicated to be done through
        Perl, Other option is to simply poll for the event.
        I think the simplest way would be to write a small perl script which does
        all the work (grab the image , modify, upload, cleanup) and schedule it to
        run via windows scheduler to run every minute or so.
        If this works for you let us know.

        -Arun

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 8, 2006

          drgert1> Third: You are bringing up a great suggestion with resp.
          drgert1> to having someone write the code. I would very much like to make this
          drgert1> call to the community to step up and help out. The stargazer group
          drgert1> that I want to do this project for is non-profit and so no money can
          drgert1> be paid for the contribution. However the individual would help the
          drgert1> public outreach for education in science and promoting the case of
          drgert1> astronomy. Of course credits for the contribution will be given on the
          drgert1> event web page. I encourage you to check out the Trivalleystargazers
          drgert1> group webpage to see our activities in the public.
          drgert1> http://www.trivalleystargazers.org/

          But even as interesting and as noteworthy as that goal is, that is NOT the
          purpose of THIS group. This group is about Perl programmers helping other
          Perl programmers. That's why off-topic messages must be delivered elsewhere.