Re: [PBML] use CGI; Can some one explain CGI?

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2006
      >>>>> "chipwillis2003" == chipwillis2003 <chipwillis2003@...> writes:

      chipwillis2003> Is CGI part of Perl?

      CGI is an interface for processes to communicate with a web server
      to pass form values and return responses.

      Perl can speak the CGI protocol, most famously with the CGI.pm
      module.

      However, many thousands of Perl programs have been written that never get
      anywhere near the CGI protocol. In fact, Perl was invented and deployed long
      before CGI was even a dream. :)

      chipwillis2003> Is CGI something that I would use while doing web programming
      chipwillis2003> in Perl?

      CGI is the common starting point, yes.

      chipwillis2003> I am working with Perl and a web based application that is
      chipwillis2003> written in Perl and is using Windows SQL for the database. I
      chipwillis2003> have not as of yet seen any referance to CGI in the code they
      chipwillis2003> have written. It could be in some include files as i have not
      chipwillis2003> dug very deep yet.

      It's quite possible that it has no CGI interface, yes.