Re: [PBML] Re: 553 error when using Perl FTP module on Linuix server

  • Shailesh Hegde
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
      Hello Damien,

      Turns out it was a permissions issue... I had to assign permissions to CpeMGrs Dir as well as its parent dirs.. it worked then..!!!
      Thanks for the help on this,
      Shailesh.

      Damien Carbery <daymobrew@...> wrote:
      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shailesh Hegde <shail_hegde@...>

      <shail_hegde@> wrote:

      > > Hi guys,
      > > I am getting this error when i try to upload a file onto an FTP
      server
      > > installed in a Linux machine using the Net:FTP module -
      > > "553 Cannot create file.."
      > >
      > > The file to be uploaded does not have any special characters, which
      > > cud cause a problem on the Linux system
      > >
      > > There is no prblem if i upload it to the HOME dir of the FTP server,
      > > however its not possible to upload it into the HOME's sub-
      > > directories..!!!
      > >
      > > ~Shailesh.
      > >
      > Can you reproduce the error when you run ftp by hand?
      > $ ftp servername (and enter username/password)
      > > CWD LSP_Sep22/CpeMgrs
      > > PASV
      > > STOR CpeMgrlogs-porsche-Sep-22.zip
      >
      > Have you posted your code (I know you posted the debug output - I got
      > the above commands from that)

      So you get the 553 error when you use ftp... good to know.
      I just tried to 'cd /usr/bin; put file' and got "553 file: Permission
      denied.".
      To me it sounds like the user you are using does not have permission
      to write to the directory LSP_Sep22/CpeMgrs.

      When you are connected to the ftp server, do:
      CWD LSP_Sep22
      DIR
      and look at the owner and permissions for the CpeMgrs dir.