Re: [PBML] Re: 553 error when using Perl FTP module on Linuix server

  • Shailesh Hegde
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 4, 2006
      Hi Damien,
      Yes i do get the error when its done by hand.

      Is it something to do with the permissions for the FTP user ??

      Thanks,
      Shailesh.

      Damien Carbery <daymobrew@...> wrote:
      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "shailesh" <shail_hegde@...> wrote:

      > Hi guys,
      > I am getting this error when i try to upload a file onto an FTP server
      > installed in a Linux machine using the Net:FTP module -
      > "553 Cannot create file.."
      >
      > The file to be uploaded does not have any special characters, which
      > cud cause a problem on the Linux system
      >
      > There is no prblem if i upload it to the HOME dir of the FTP server,
      > however its not possible to upload it into the HOME's sub-
      > directories..!!!
      >
      > ~Shailesh.

      Can you reproduce the error when you run ftp by hand?
      $ ftp servername (and enter username/password)
      > CWD LSP_Sep22/CpeMgrs
      > PASV
      > STOR CpeMgrlogs-porsche-Sep-22.zip

      Have you posted your code (I know you posted the debug output - I got
      the above commands from that)

    • Damien Carbery
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shailesh Hegde <shail_hegde@...>

        <shail_hegde@> wrote:

        > > Hi guys,
        > > I am getting this error when i try to upload a file onto an FTP
        server
        > > installed in a Linux machine using the Net:FTP module -
        > > "553 Cannot create file.."
        > >
        > > The file to be uploaded does not have any special characters, which
        > > cud cause a problem on the Linux system
        > >
        > > There is no prblem if i upload it to the HOME dir of the FTP server,
        > > however its not possible to upload it into the HOME's sub-
        > > directories..!!!
        > >
        > > ~Shailesh.
        > >
        > Can you reproduce the error when you run ftp by hand?
        > $ ftp servername (and enter username/password)
        > > CWD LSP_Sep22/CpeMgrs
        > > PASV
        > > STOR CpeMgrlogs-porsche-Sep-22.zip
        >
        > Have you posted your code (I know you posted the debug output - I got
        > the above commands from that)

        So you get the 553 error when you use ftp... good to know.
        I just tried to 'cd /usr/bin; put file' and got "553 file: Permission
        denied.".
        To me it sounds like the user you are using does not have permission
        to write to the directory LSP_Sep22/CpeMgrs.

        When you are connected to the ftp server, do:
        CWD LSP_Sep22
        DIR
        and look at the owner and permissions for the CpeMgrs dir.
      • Shailesh Hegde
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
          Hello Damien,

          Turns out it was a permissions issue... I had to assign permissions to CpeMGrs Dir as well as its parent dirs.. it worked then..!!!
          Thanks for the help on this,