Re: [PBML] Re: Doubts about system or exec!

  • Rob Biedenharn
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
      Marcos,

      It's hard to say what's happening on your system with so little to go
      on, but I'd suspect that there's a difference in how the command mrtg
      behaves based on the type of the controlling terminal or standard
      input/output or there's something different in the environment.

      Even a command as common as `ls` has dependencies like this. Compare
      `ls` and `ls | cat` on most systems. Perhaps your 'mrtg` command
      does something similar.

      This really isn't a perl question -- it's asking about something in
      your execution environment and you just happen to be using perl when
      noticing the effect.

      -Rob

      Rob@...

      On Oct 2, 2006, at 7:45 AM, Marcos Onisto wrote:

      > Hi Rob,
      >
      > When i use the print, i see that everything is good. My problem is
      > when i use the system or exec. When i execute this command manually
      > on the shell, i didn´t get this error and i got the result that i
      > need.
      >
      > Thanks a lot,
      >
      > MLO
      >

      > Rob Biedenharn <Rob@...> wrote:
      > Change the "system" to "print" and see if the command is something
      > that you could run manually in the shell.
      >
      > -Rob
      >
      > On Sep 29, 2006, at 11:52 PM, Marcos Onisto wrote:
      >
      >> My variables are ok, i already checked.
      >>
      >> Thanks a lot.
      >>
      >> MLO
      >>
      >> Damien Carbery <daymobrew@...>
      >> wrote: --- In perl-
      >> beginner@yahoogroups.com, Marcos Onisto <mlonisto@...> wrote:
      >>>
      >>> Hello All,
      >>>
      >>> I'm preparing a script for administration of my MRTG, so when i
      >> execute the mrtg command on the shell, i dont get errors, but when i
      >> execute the same command in my script, i get the errors below.
      >>>
      >>> my script:
      >>> system("/opt/mrtg/bin/mrtg $meudir/$answer0.cfg");
      >>>
      >>> Exec give the same error.
      >>>
      >>> Use of uninitialized value at
      >> /opt/mrtg2/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line 511.
      >>> ERROR: "WorkDir" not specified in mrtg config file
      >>>
      >>> I dont understand this error, take a look:
      >>> bash-2.03# more /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone/blueone.cfg
      >>> EnableIPv6: no
      >>> WorkDir: /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone
      >>>
      >>> Can somebody help me? I appreciate some help.
      >>
      >> One of your two variables, $meudir and $answer0, has not been
      >> given a
      >> value. Check your script.
    • Marcos Onisto
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
        Hello All,

        I solved my problem, i was using the version 'Perl 5.005_03' default of Solaris 8, after that i was upgrade for perl-5.8.7-sol8-sparc-local.gz of sunfreeware.com (Solaris 8), the problem didn´t continue.

        Thanks a lot,

        regards,

        Marcos Luiz Onisto

        Rob Biedenharn <Rob@...> wrote: Marcos,