Re: [PBML] Re: Doubts about system or exec!

  • Rob Biedenharn
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2006
      Change the "system" to "print" and see if the command is something
      that you could run manually in the shell.

      -Rob

      On Sep 29, 2006, at 11:52 PM, Marcos Onisto wrote:

      > My variables are ok, i already checked.
      >
      > Thanks a lot.
      >
      > MLO
      >
      > Damien Carbery <daymobrew@...>
      > wrote: --- In perl-
      > beginner@yahoogroups.com, Marcos Onisto <mlonisto@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Hello All,
      >>
      >> I'm preparing a script for administration of my MRTG, so when i
      > execute the mrtg command on the shell, i dont get errors, but when i
      > execute the same command in my script, i get the errors below.
      >>
      >> my script:
      >> system("/opt/mrtg/bin/mrtg $meudir/$answer0.cfg");
      >>
      >> Exec give the same error.
      >>
      >> Use of uninitialized value at
      > /opt/mrtg2/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line 511.
      >> ERROR: "WorkDir" not specified in mrtg config file
      >>
      >> I dont understand this error, take a look:
      >> bash-2.03# more /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone/blueone.cfg
      >> EnableIPv6: no
      >> WorkDir: /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone
      >>
      >> Can somebody help me? I appreciate some help.
      >
      > One of your two variables, $meudir and $answer0, has not been given a
      > value. Check your script.

      > groups-32.html
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Marcos Onisto
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
        Hi Rob,

        When i use the print, i see that everything is good. My problem is when i use the system or exec. When i execute this command manualy on the shell, i didn´t get this error and i got the result that i need.

        Thanks a lot,

        MLO

        Rob Biedenharn <Rob@...> wrote: Change the "system" to "print" and see if the command is something
        that you could run manually in the shell.

        -Rob

        On Sep 29, 2006, at 11:52 PM, Marcos Onisto wrote:

        > My variables are ok, i already checked.
        >
        > Thanks a lot.
        >
        > MLO
        >
        > Damien Carbery <daymobrew@...>
        > wrote: --- In perl-
        > beginner@yahoogroups.com, Marcos Onisto <mlonisto@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Hello All,
        >>
        >> I'm preparing a script for administration of my MRTG, so when i
        > execute the mrtg command on the shell, i dont get errors, but when i
        > execute the same command in my script, i get the errors below.
        >>
        >> my script:
        >> system("/opt/mrtg/bin/mrtg $meudir/$answer0.cfg");
        >>
        >> Exec give the same error.
        >>
        >> Use of uninitialized value at
        > /opt/mrtg2/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line 511.
        >> ERROR: "WorkDir" not specified in mrtg config file
        >>
        >> I dont understand this error, take a look:
        >> bash-2.03# more /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone/blueone.cfg
        >> EnableIPv6: no
        >> WorkDir: /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone
        >>
        >> Can somebody help me? I appreciate some help.
        >
        > One of your two variables, $meudir and $answer0, has not been given a
        > value. Check your script.

        > groups-32.html
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Rob Biedenharn
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
          Marcos,

          It's hard to say what's happening on your system with so little to go
          on, but I'd suspect that there's a difference in how the command mrtg
          behaves based on the type of the controlling terminal or standard
          input/output or there's something different in the environment.

          Even a command as common as `ls` has dependencies like this. Compare
          `ls` and `ls | cat` on most systems. Perhaps your 'mrtg` command
          does something similar.

          This really isn't a perl question -- it's asking about something in
          your execution environment and you just happen to be using perl when
          noticing the effect.

          -Rob

          Rob@...

          On Oct 2, 2006, at 7:45 AM, Marcos Onisto wrote:

          > Hi Rob,
          >
          > When i use the print, i see that everything is good. My problem is
          > when i use the system or exec. When i execute this command manually
          > on the shell, i didn´t get this error and i got the result that i
          > need.
          >
          > Thanks a lot,
          >
          > MLO
          >

          > Rob Biedenharn <Rob@...> wrote:
          > Change the "system" to "print" and see if the command is something
          > that you could run manually in the shell.
          >
          > -Rob
          >
          > On Sep 29, 2006, at 11:52 PM, Marcos Onisto wrote:
          >
          >> My variables are ok, i already checked.
          >>
          >> Thanks a lot.
          >>
          >> MLO
          >>
          >> Damien Carbery <daymobrew@...>
          >> wrote: --- In perl-
          >> beginner@yahoogroups.com, Marcos Onisto <mlonisto@...> wrote:
          >>>
          >>> Hello All,
          >>>
          >>> I'm preparing a script for administration of my MRTG, so when i
          >> execute the mrtg command on the shell, i dont get errors, but when i
          >> execute the same command in my script, i get the errors below.
          >>>
          >>> my script:
          >>> system("/opt/mrtg/bin/mrtg $meudir/$answer0.cfg");
          >>>
          >>> Exec give the same error.
          >>>
          >>> Use of uninitialized value at
          >> /opt/mrtg2/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line 511.
          >>> ERROR: "WorkDir" not specified in mrtg config file
          >>>
          >>> I dont understand this error, take a look:
          >>> bash-2.03# more /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone/blueone.cfg
          >>> EnableIPv6: no
          >>> WorkDir: /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone
          >>>
          >>> Can somebody help me? I appreciate some help.
          >>
          >> One of your two variables, $meudir and $answer0, has not been
          >> given a
          >> value. Check your script.
        • Marcos Onisto
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
            Hello All,

            I solved my problem, i was using the version 'Perl 5.005_03' default of Solaris 8, after that i was upgrade for perl-5.8.7-sol8-sparc-local.gz of sunfreeware.com (Solaris 8), the problem didn´t continue.

            Thanks a lot,

            regards,

            Marcos Luiz Onisto

            Rob Biedenharn <Rob@...> wrote: Marcos,