Doubts about system or exec!

  • Marcos Onisto
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29, 2006
      Hello All,

      I'm preparing a script for administration of my MRTG, so when i execute the mrtg command on the shell, i dont get errors, but when i execute the same command in my script, i get the errors below.

      my script:
      system("/opt/mrtg/bin/mrtg $meudir/$answer0.cfg");

      Exec give the same error.

      Use of uninitialized value at /opt/mrtg2/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line 511.
      ERROR: "WorkDir" not specified in mrtg config file

      I dont understand this error, take a look:
      bash-2.03# more /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone/blueone.cfg
      EnableIPv6: no
      WorkDir: /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone

      Can somebody help me? I appreciate some help.

      Thanks a lot,

      Marcos Luiz Onisto

    • Damien Carbery
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29, 2006
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Marcos Onisto <mlonisto@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > I'm preparing a script for administration of my MRTG, so when i
        execute the mrtg command on the shell, i dont get errors, but when i
        execute the same command in my script, i get the errors below.

        > my script:
        > system("/opt/mrtg/bin/mrtg $meudir/$answer0.cfg");
        >
        > Exec give the same error.
        >
        > Use of uninitialized value at
        /opt/mrtg2/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line 511.
        > ERROR: "WorkDir" not specified in mrtg config file
        >
        > I dont understand this error, take a look:
        > bash-2.03# more /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone/blueone.cfg
        > EnableIPv6: no
        > WorkDir: /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone
        >
        > Can somebody help me? I appreciate some help.

        One of your two variables, $meudir and $answer0, has not been given a
        value. Check your script.
      • Marcos Onisto
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 29, 2006
          My variables are ok, i already checked.

          Thanks a lot.

          MLO

          Damien Carbery <daymobrew@...> wrote: --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Marcos Onisto <mlonisto@...> wrote:

          > Hello All,
          >
          > I'm preparing a script for administration of my MRTG, so when i
          execute the mrtg command on the shell, i dont get errors, but when i
          execute the same command in my script, i get the errors below.

          > my script:
          > system("/opt/mrtg/bin/mrtg $meudir/$answer0.cfg");
          >
          > Exec give the same error.
          >
          > Use of uninitialized value at
          /opt/mrtg2/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line 511.
          > ERROR: "WorkDir" not specified in mrtg config file
          >
          > I dont understand this error, take a look:
          > bash-2.03# more /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone/blueone.cfg
          > EnableIPv6: no
          > WorkDir: /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone
          >
          > Can somebody help me? I appreciate some help.

          One of your two variables, $meudir and $answer0, has not been given a
          value. Check your script.

        • Rob Biedenharn
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 30, 2006
            Change the "system" to "print" and see if the command is something
            that you could run manually in the shell.

            -Rob

            On Sep 29, 2006, at 11:52 PM, Marcos Onisto wrote:

            > My variables are ok, i already checked.
            >
            > Thanks a lot.
            >
            > MLO
            >
            > Damien Carbery <daymobrew@...>
            > wrote: --- In perl-
            > beginner@yahoogroups.com, Marcos Onisto <mlonisto@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hello All,
            >>
            >> I'm preparing a script for administration of my MRTG, so when i
            > execute the mrtg command on the shell, i dont get errors, but when i
            > execute the same command in my script, i get the errors below.
            >>
            >> my script:
            >> system("/opt/mrtg/bin/mrtg $meudir/$answer0.cfg");
            >>
            >> Exec give the same error.
            >>
            >> Use of uninitialized value at
            > /opt/mrtg2/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line 511.
            >> ERROR: "WorkDir" not specified in mrtg config file
            >>
            >> I dont understand this error, take a look:
            >> bash-2.03# more /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone/blueone.cfg
            >> EnableIPv6: no
            >> WorkDir: /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone
            >>
            >> Can somebody help me? I appreciate some help.
            >
            > One of your two variables, $meudir and $answer0, has not been given a
            > value. Check your script.

            > groups-32.html
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Marcos Onisto
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
              Hi Rob,

              When i use the print, i see that everything is good. My problem is when i use the system or exec. When i execute this command manualy on the shell, i didn´t get this error and i got the result that i need.

              Thanks a lot,

              MLO

              Rob Biedenharn <Rob@...> wrote: Change the "system" to "print" and see if the command is something
              that you could run manually in the shell.

              -Rob

              On Sep 29, 2006, at 11:52 PM, Marcos Onisto wrote:

              > My variables are ok, i already checked.
              >
              > Thanks a lot.
              >
              > MLO
              >
              > Damien Carbery <daymobrew@...>
              > wrote: --- In perl-
              > beginner@yahoogroups.com, Marcos Onisto <mlonisto@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Hello All,
              >>
              >> I'm preparing a script for administration of my MRTG, so when i
              > execute the mrtg command on the shell, i dont get errors, but when i
              > execute the same command in my script, i get the errors below.
              >>
              >> my script:
              >> system("/opt/mrtg/bin/mrtg $meudir/$answer0.cfg");
              >>
              >> Exec give the same error.
              >>
              >> Use of uninitialized value at
              > /opt/mrtg2/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line 511.
              >> ERROR: "WorkDir" not specified in mrtg config file
              >>
              >> I dont understand this error, take a look:
              >> bash-2.03# more /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone/blueone.cfg
              >> EnableIPv6: no
              >> WorkDir: /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone
              >>
              >> Can somebody help me? I appreciate some help.
              >
              > One of your two variables, $meudir and $answer0, has not been given a
              > value. Check your script.

              > groups-32.html
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Rob Biedenharn
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
                Marcos,

                It's hard to say what's happening on your system with so little to go
                on, but I'd suspect that there's a difference in how the command mrtg
                behaves based on the type of the controlling terminal or standard
                input/output or there's something different in the environment.

                Even a command as common as `ls` has dependencies like this. Compare
                `ls` and `ls | cat` on most systems. Perhaps your 'mrtg` command
                does something similar.

                This really isn't a perl question -- it's asking about something in
                your execution environment and you just happen to be using perl when
                noticing the effect.

                -Rob

                Rob@...

                On Oct 2, 2006, at 7:45 AM, Marcos Onisto wrote:

                > Hi Rob,
                >
                > When i use the print, i see that everything is good. My problem is
                > when i use the system or exec. When i execute this command manually
                > on the shell, i didn´t get this error and i got the result that i
                > need.
                >
                > Thanks a lot,
                >
                > MLO
                >

                > Rob Biedenharn <Rob@...> wrote:
                > Change the "system" to "print" and see if the command is something
                > that you could run manually in the shell.
                >
                > -Rob
                >
                > On Sep 29, 2006, at 11:52 PM, Marcos Onisto wrote:
                >
                >> My variables are ok, i already checked.
                >>
                >> Thanks a lot.
                >>
                >> MLO
                >>
                >> Damien Carbery <daymobrew@...>
                >> wrote: --- In perl-
                >> beginner@yahoogroups.com, Marcos Onisto <mlonisto@...> wrote:
                >>>
                >>> Hello All,
                >>>
                >>> I'm preparing a script for administration of my MRTG, so when i
                >> execute the mrtg command on the shell, i dont get errors, but when i
                >> execute the same command in my script, i get the errors below.
                >>>
                >>> my script:
                >>> system("/opt/mrtg/bin/mrtg $meudir/$answer0.cfg");
                >>>
                >>> Exec give the same error.
                >>>
                >>> Use of uninitialized value at
                >> /opt/mrtg2/bin/../lib/mrtg2/MRTG_lib.pm line 511.
                >>> ERROR: "WorkDir" not specified in mrtg config file
                >>>
                >>> I dont understand this error, take a look:
                >>> bash-2.03# more /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone/blueone.cfg
                >>> EnableIPv6: no
                >>> WorkDir: /opt/mrtg/clientes/blueone
                >>>
                >>> Can somebody help me? I appreciate some help.
                >>
                >> One of your two variables, $meudir and $answer0, has not been
                >> given a
                >> value. Check your script.
              • Marcos Onisto
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
                  Hello All,

                  I solved my problem, i was using the version 'Perl 5.005_03' default of Solaris 8, after that i was upgrade for perl-5.8.7-sol8-sparc-local.gz of sunfreeware.com (Solaris 8), the problem didn´t continue.

                  Thanks a lot,

                  regards,

                  Marcos Luiz Onisto

                  Rob Biedenharn <Rob@...> wrote: Marcos,