553 error when using Perl FTP module on Linuix server

  • shailesh
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2006
      Hi guys,
      I am getting this error when i try to upload a file onto an FTP server
      installed in a Linux machine using the Net:FTP module -
      "553 Cannot create file.."

      The file to be uploaded does not have any special characters, which
      cud cause a problem on the Linux system

      There is no prblem if i upload it to the HOME dir of the FTP server,
      however its not possible to upload it into the HOME's sub-
      directories..!!!

      ~Shailesh.
    • Damien Carbery
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 26, 2006
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "shailesh" <shail_hegde@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys,
        > I am getting this error when i try to upload a file onto an FTP server
        > installed in a Linux machine using the Net:FTP module -
        > "553 Cannot create file.."
        >
        > The file to be uploaded does not have any special characters, which
        > cud cause a problem on the Linux system
        >
        > There is no prblem if i upload it to the HOME dir of the FTP server,
        > however its not possible to upload it into the HOME's sub-
        > directories..!!!
        >
        > ~Shailesh.

        Can you reproduce the error when you run ftp by hand?
        $ ftp servername (and enter username/password)
        > CWD LSP_Sep22/CpeMgrs
        > PASV
        > STOR CpeMgrlogs-porsche-Sep-22.zip

        Have you posted your code (I know you posted the debug output - I got
        the above commands from that)
      • Shailesh Hegde
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2006
          Hi Damien,
          Yes i do get the error when its done by hand.

          Is it something to do with the permissions for the FTP user ??

          Thanks,
          Shailesh.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
            --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shailesh Hegde <shail_hegde@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Damien,
            > Yes i do get the error when its done by hand.
            >
            > Is it something to do with the permissions for the FTP user ??
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Shailesh.
            >
            > Damien Carbery <daymobrew@...> wrote:
            > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "shailesh"
            <shail_hegde@> wrote:

            > > Hi guys,
            > > I am getting this error when i try to upload a file onto an FTP
            server
            > > installed in a Linux machine using the Net:FTP module -
            > > "553 Cannot create file.."
            > >
            > > The file to be uploaded does not have any special characters, which
            > > cud cause a problem on the Linux system
            > >
            > > There is no prblem if i upload it to the HOME dir of the FTP server,
            > > however its not possible to upload it into the HOME's sub-
            > > directories..!!!
            > >
            > > ~Shailesh.
            > >
            > Can you reproduce the error when you run ftp by hand?
            > $ ftp servername (and enter username/password)
            > > CWD LSP_Sep22/CpeMgrs
            > > PASV
            > > STOR CpeMgrlogs-porsche-Sep-22.zip
            >
            > Have you posted your code (I know you posted the debug output - I got
            > the above commands from that)

            So you get the 553 error when you use ftp... good to know.
            I just tried to 'cd /usr/bin; put file' and got "553 file: Permission
            denied.".
            To me it sounds like the user you are using does not have permission
            to write to the directory LSP_Sep22/CpeMgrs.

            When you are connected to the ftp server, do:
            CWD LSP_Sep22
            DIR
            and look at the owner and permissions for the CpeMgrs dir.
          • Shailesh Hegde
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006
              Hello Damien,

              Turns out it was a permissions issue... I had to assign permissions to CpeMGrs Dir as well as its parent dirs.. it worked then..!!!
              Thanks for the help on this,