Re: [PBML] help regarding perl

  • Chad Perrin
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5, 2006
      On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 01:27:49PM -0700, Rimjim Suri wrote:

      > Hello ,
      > Can anyone just help me in telling which book should i refer for perl. I have to learn perl within 1-2 months. I don't even know ABC .. of it. Just tell which few books i should refer initially . And also which software should i need on my computer to run the programs.. just tell me about the free software avaiable on net. It will be a great help for me.

      The camelid trilogy from O'Reilly is excellent:

      Learning Perl
      (aka The Llama Book)
      Intermediate Perl
      (aka The Alpaca Book, aka PORM)
      Programming Perl
      (aka The Camel Book)

      . . . pretty much in that order.

      "The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your time waving your
      hands and hopping when a rock or a club will do." - McCloctnick the Lucid
    • Rimjim Suri
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5, 2006
        Can u please let me know what to choose from this link . I have windows xp
        http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl

        Raja Rajasekaram <raja_rajasekaram@...> wrote:
        I would recommend this book:
        "Professional Perl Programming, from WROX Press"

        Excellant book, anything you need in perl this book
        has it. Its a huge book so....be prepare to fall a
        sleep.

        "Object Oriented Perl, Damian Conway"

        Excellant OO perl book.

        Interms of software, download it from activeperl.com.
        or if you are running linux, its already pre
        installed.

        Enjoy

        --- Rimjim Suri <rimjim_s@...> wrote:

        > Hello ,
        > Can anyone just help me in telling
        > which book should i refer for perl. I have to learn
        > perl within 1-2 months. I don't even know ABC .. of
        > it. Just tell which few books i should refer
        > initially . And also which software should i need on
        > my computer to run the programs.. just tell me about
        > the free software avaiable on net. It will be a
        > great help for me.
        >
        > regards,
        > Rimjim

        > removed]

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Raja Rajasekaram
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6, 2006
          http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/

          download it from there...

          --- Rimjim Suri <rimjim_s@...> wrote:

          > Can u please let me know what to choose from this
          > link . I have windows xp

          http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl

          > Raja Rajasekaram <raja_rajasekaram@...> wrote:
          >
          > I would recommend this book:
          > "Professional Perl Programming, from WROX Press"
          >
          > Excellant book, anything you need in perl this book
          > has it. Its a huge book so....be prepare to fall a
          > sleep.
          >
          > "Object Oriented Perl, Damian Conway"
          >
          > Excellant OO perl book.
          >
          > Interms of software, download it from
          > activeperl.com.
          > or if you are running linux, its already pre
          > installed.
          >
          > Enjoy
          >
          > --- Rimjim Suri <rimjim_s@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Hello ,
          > > Can anyone just help me in telling
          > > which book should i refer for perl. I have to
          > learn
          > > perl within 1-2 months. I don't even know ABC ..
          > of
          > > it. Just tell which few books i should refer
          > > initially . And also which software should i need
          > on
          > > my computer to run the programs.. just tell me
          > about
          > > the free software avaiable on net. It will be a
          > > great help for me.
          > >
          > > regards,
          > > Rimjim

          > > removed]

          > protection around
          > http://mail.yahoo.com

          > removed]

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • GOPI
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6, 2006
            Hi Rimjim,
            My suggestion for "PERL FROM THE GROUND UP " is the best for knowing
            perl.
            regds
            gopi
            -