help regarding perl

  • Rimjim Suri
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5, 2006
      Hello ,
      Can anyone just help me in telling which book should i refer for perl. I have to learn perl within 1-2 months. I don't even know ABC .. of it. Just tell which few books i should refer initially . And also which software should i need on my computer to run the programs.. just tell me about the free software avaiable on net. It will be a great help for me.

      regards,
      Rimjim

    • Raja Rajasekaram
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5, 2006
        I would recommend this book:
        "Professional Perl Programming, from WROX Press"

        Excellant book, anything you need in perl this book
        has it. Its a huge book so....be prepare to fall a
        sleep.

        "Object Oriented Perl, Damian Conway"

        Excellant OO perl book.

        Interms of software, download it from activeperl.com.
        or if you are running linux, its already pre
        installed.

        Enjoy

        --- Rimjim Suri <rimjim_s@...> wrote:

        > Hello ,
        > Can anyone just help me in telling
        > which book should i refer for perl. I have to learn
        > perl within 1-2 months. I don't even know ABC .. of
        > it. Just tell which few books i should refer
        > initially . And also which software should i need on
        > my computer to run the programs.. just tell me about
        > the free software avaiable on net. It will be a
        > great help for me.
        >
        > regards,
        > Rimjim

        > removed]

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Rimjim Suri
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5, 2006
          Thank you raja. I'll sure install the software today.

          --- Rimjim Suri <rimjim_s@...> wrote:

          > Hello ,
          > Can anyone just help me in telling
          > which book should i refer for perl. I have to learn
          > perl within 1-2 months. I don't even know ABC .. of
          > it. Just tell which few books i should refer
          > initially . And also which software should i need on
          > my computer to run the programs.. just tell me about
          > the free software avaiable on net. It will be a
          > great help for me.
          >
          > regards,
          > Rimjim

          > removed]

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Chad Perrin
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 5, 2006
            On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 01:27:49PM -0700, Rimjim Suri wrote:

            > Hello ,
            > Can anyone just help me in telling which book should i refer for perl. I have to learn perl within 1-2 months. I don't even know ABC .. of it. Just tell which few books i should refer initially . And also which software should i need on my computer to run the programs.. just tell me about the free software avaiable on net. It will be a great help for me.

            The camelid trilogy from O'Reilly is excellent:

            Learning Perl
            (aka The Llama Book)
            Intermediate Perl
            (aka The Alpaca Book, aka PORM)
            Programming Perl
            (aka The Camel Book)

            . . . pretty much in that order.

            "The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your time waving your
            hands and hopping when a rock or a club will do." - McCloctnick the Lucid
          • Rimjim Suri
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 5, 2006
              Can u please let me know what to choose from this link . I have windows xp
              http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl

              --- Rimjim Suri <rimjim_s@...> wrote:

              > Hello ,
              > Can anyone just help me in telling
              > which book should i refer for perl. I have to learn
              > perl within 1-2 months. I don't even know ABC .. of
              > it. Just tell which few books i should refer
              > initially . And also which software should i need on
              > my computer to run the programs.. just tell me about
              > the free software avaiable on net. It will be a
              > great help for me.
              >
              > regards,
              > Rimjim

              > removed]

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Raja Rajasekaram
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 6, 2006
                http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/

                download it from there...

                --- Rimjim Suri <rimjim_s@...> wrote:

                > Can u please let me know what to choose from this
                > link . I have windows xp

                http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl

                > Raja Rajasekaram <raja_rajasekaram@...> wrote:
                >
                > I would recommend this book:
                > "Professional Perl Programming, from WROX Press"
                >
                > Excellant book, anything you need in perl this book
                > has it. Its a huge book so....be prepare to fall a
                > sleep.
                >
                > "Object Oriented Perl, Damian Conway"
                >
                > Excellant OO perl book.
                >
                > Interms of software, download it from
                > activeperl.com.
                > or if you are running linux, its already pre
                > installed.
                >
                > Enjoy
                >
                > --- Rimjim Suri <rimjim_s@...> wrote:
                >

                > > Hello ,
                > > Can anyone just help me in telling
                > > which book should i refer for perl. I have to
                > learn
                > > perl within 1-2 months. I don't even know ABC ..
                > of
                > > it. Just tell which few books i should refer
                > > initially . And also which software should i need
                > on
                > > my computer to run the programs.. just tell me
                > about
                > > the free software avaiable on net. It will be a
                > > great help for me.
                > >
                > > regards,
                > > Rimjim

                > > removed]

                > protection around
                > http://mail.yahoo.com

                > removed]

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • GOPI
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 6, 2006
                  Hi Rimjim,
                  My suggestion for "PERL FROM THE GROUND UP " is the best for knowing
                  perl.
                  regds
                  gopi
                  -